This pretty Devon village is located at the mouth of the River Torridge, near the towns of Barnstaple and Bideford. There's nice walks along the river and along the estuaries of both the Taw and Torridge to the north of the village. This circular walk follows the South West Coast Path along the estuary to the nearby Northam Burrows Country Park where there are miles of nice trails and fine views of the coast to enjoy.
Start the walk from the pretty quay in Appledore and head north along the river to West Appledore. The path bends round to the west towards Northam Burrows and the Royal Devon Golf Club. In the park you will find over 600 acres of grassy coastal plain, salt marsh and sand dunes. The trail heads round the coast toward the visitor centre on the western side. Here you'll pass Sandymere before picking up a country lane taking you to Pampley Bridge and Appledore Bridge. From here you can pick up the coast path to take you back into Appledore. You could extend the walk by continuig south from Northam Burrows to visit the attractive seaside village of Westward Ho.
A summer ferry runs to Instow on the opposite side of the river. Here you can pick up the popular Tarka Trail and follow it south to Great Torrington. If you head north east along the Tarka Trail you can visit Barnstaple where there's paths along the River Taw and the interesting Barnstaple Heritage Trail to try.
To the north of the village, on the opposite side of the estuary, you will find the lovely Braunton Burrows. The reserve covers nearly 900 hectares making it the second largest dune system in England.
Appledore Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Appledore Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Appledore OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Appledore Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Appledore
- South West Coast Path - This incredible 600 mile walk follows the coast from Minehead in Somerset, through Devon and Cornwall and onto the finish point at Poole in Dorset
- Northam Burrows Country Park - Explore over 600 acres of grassy coastal plain, salt marsh, sand dunes and grasslands in this coastal country park in Devon
- Tarka Trail - This wonderful walk through Devon follows the path taken by Tarka the Otter in the book of that name
- Braunton Burrows - Explore the expansive sand dune system of this beautiful nature reserve on the North Devon Coast and enjoy wildlife, coastal views and a variety of specialised plants
- Westward Ho - Westward Ho! is a lovely seaside village in North Devon with a nice beach and some great coastal walking