This walk takes you around Backwell Lake in the North Somerset village of Backwell.
There's a car park at the eastern side of the lake just north of the village, off Station Road. From here you can pick up a nice circular footpath heading around the lake for about half a mile. The site is also a nature reserve where you can look out for a variety of water loving birds on the water. Keep your eyes peeled for gadwall, shoveler, pochard, tufted duck, grey heron and mute swans as you make your way around the site.
To extend the walk you can head north into neighbouring Nailsea where you could visit the splendid Ty Sculpture Trail.
If you head south east of the village you could climb up to the Jubilee Stone where there are nice views over the area.
PostcodeBS48 1TN - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Backwell Lake Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Backwell Lake Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Backwell Lake OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Backwell Lake Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Backwell
- Nailsea - This North Somerset town has a lovely local sculpture trail, an Iron Age Hillfort and a nearby National Trust property to explore on foot.
- Gordano Round - This figure of eight walk takes you on a tour of the coast, countryside, woodland and villages around Portishead in Somerset.
- Tyntesfield House - This Victorian Gothic Revival house near the Bristol Circular Walk is surrounded by 150 acres (61 ha) of parkland and gardens which are perfect for a peaceful walk
- Portishead Nature Reserve Walk - An easy circular walk around the Portsbury Wharf Nature Reserve in Portishead
- Portishead to Clevedon - Follow the coastal path from Portishead to Clevedon on this point to point walk in Somerset
- Weston-Super-Mare - This Somerset seaside resort has some fine coastal walking, a large area of local woodland, some fine hill climbs and a nature reserve with lots of coastal wildlife to see.
- Weston Woods - These pretty woods in Weston-Super-Mare have a series of good footpaths to try
- Sand Point - Enjoy fine views across the Bristol Channel to Wales on this coastal walk on the edge of the Mendip Hills in Somerset.
- Bristol Circular River Walk - This circular walk in Bristol visits some of the highlights of the city, including Temple Church, Castle Park, the SS Great Britain, Britol's Floating Harbour, Cabot Tower and Bristol Cathedral
- Festival Way - This largely traffic free route runs along National Cycle Route 33 from Bristol to Nailsea
- Clevedon - This north Somerset based town has lots of opportunities for walkers with coast, country, woodland, hill climbs and a nearby historic house to explore on foot.
- Failand - This Somerset village is located just west of Bristol
- Bristol Triangular City Walk - This walk takes you on a tour of this fascinating and historical city, visiting several famous landmarks on the way
In the village The George is a nice place for post walk refreshment. The attractive pub serves good quality food and has a nice courtyard to sit out in on warmer days. You can find them at 125 Farleigh Road, BS48 3PG. The pub is also dog friendly if you have your canine friend with you.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area head to Tyntesfield House. The grounds include woodland, a tree lined drive, a rose garden, a walled kitchen garden, summer houses, and an the aviary. The house is near the Bristol Circular River Walk which explores the area around the nearby city.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Somerset Walks page.