A challenging circular walk around the village of Dunsop Bridge in the Forest of Bowland. The pretty village lies very close to the geographic centre of Great Britain at the confluence of the River Dunsop and the River Hodder. It makes an excellent base for exploring some of the finest parts of the Forest of Bowland AONB.
This walk includes a number of lovely waterside sections and several climbs to the fells in the surrounding area. The scenery is stunning with bubbling brooks, gorgeous valleys and wonderful views of the Bowland Hills for the duration of the route.
The walk starts at the parking area in the village and follows country lanes and footpaths north west to the Langdon Brook. A lovely waterside section takes you through the Langden Valley and along the pretty brook to Langdon Castle.
At the castle you turn south and follow the equally attractive Bleasdale Water past Brown Berry Plain to Beasley's Steady. The route then turns east, passing Fair Oak Fell and Whitmore Fell before coming to Totridge Fell. The fell is the high point of the walk standing at a height of 496 m (1,627 ft). You'll find a trig point and splendid views over the area from the summit.
The route then descends back to the country lane near the village before returning to the car park.
The walk can be extended by heading south east from Bleadale Water to Parlick and Fair Snape Fell. This area is considered on the loveliest of the Forest of Bowland with fine views to Longridge Fell and Beacon Fell.
The Trough of Bowland is another great walk you can do from Dunsop Bridge. There's riverside trails, woodland paths and lots of wildlife to look out for in this beautiful area.
The long distance Hodder Way and Forest of Bowland Walk also pass through the village. You could pick them up and head north to visit the pretty Stocks Reservoir.
The nearby Inn at Whitewell is a great place to use as a base to explore the area.
Dunsop Bridge Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Dunsop Bridge Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Dunsop Bridge OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Dunsop Bridge Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Dunsop Bridge
- Parlick and Fair Snape Fell - This walk from Parlick Fell to Fair Snape Fell is considered one of the loveliest in the Forest of Bowland
- Trough of Bowland - Enjoy rivers, brooks, woodland and beautiful countryside on this circular walk in the Forest of Bowland AONB
- Hodder Way - Follow the River Hodder on this stunning waterside walk through the beautiful Forest of Bowland.
The walk begins at Great Mitton and heads north through Whitewell, Newton and Slaidburn before a wonderful section around Stocks Reservoir finishes the route
- Stocks Reservoir - Enjoy a waterside walk around this lovely reservoir in the Forest of Bowland
- Forest of Bowland Walk - A circular walk around the Forest of Bowland AONB in Lancashire
- Inn at Whitewell - Explore the Forest of Bowland AONB from the Inn at Whitewell on this lovely circular walk