Grand Union Canal Walk
Follow the towpath of Britain's longest canal from London to Birmingham on this fabulous waterside walk. You start in West London in a lively and attractive area with canalside bars and restaurants, before heading towards the Chiltern Hills, on through rural Northamptonshire and Warwickshire and into the Birmingham suburbs. Highlights include:
- Little Venice - the start of the walk in West London with trendy bars/cafes and historical old factories and warehouses. From here the towpath follows the Paddington Canal Arm to Hayes.
- Iron Trunk Aqueduct - a magnificent Georgian structure, which carries the Grand Union Canal over the River Ouse, connecting the villages of Cosgrove and Wolverton
- Willen Lake - Milton Keynes most popular park with cycling, pedalos, mini-golf and a cafe.
- Tring Reservoirs - These four reservoirs in Tring are one of the best places for birdwatching in England. They are located next to the Wendover Canal Arm which will take you into the town of Wendover.
- Linford Lakes-this lovely nature reserve in Milton Keynes has a number of pretty lakes and ponds
- Hatton Locks - located near Warwick, this flight delivers 21 locks in less than two miles
- The Canal Museum - located at the lovely village of Stoke Bruerne the museum houses stories, films, collections and displays all about our waterways.
- Cassiobury Park and Whippendell Woods are right next to the canal in Watford and are worth exploring if you have time.
- Views of the River Nene as you pass along the Northampton Canal.
Please click here for more information
Grand Union Canal Walk Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Grand Union Canal Walk Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Grand Union Canal Walk OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Grand Union Canal Walk Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Grand Union Canal Walk Pubs
There's lots of great canalside pubs to relax in on your walk. On the canal near Kingswood you will find the the Navigation Inn which has a lovely canalside beer garden to relax in. You can find at postcode B94 6NA. Near here on the Stratford Canal, just to the east of the village of Lapworth you will find the Boot Inn which has another fine beer garden for the summer months.