A walk from the Derbyshire town of Ilkeston visiting the nearby Shipley Country Park.
The walk starts near the town centre where you can pick up the Centenary Way. Follow the waymarked trail west and it will link with the Nutbrook Trail. This shared cycling and walking trail runs along a dismantled railway line between Long Eaton to Heanor.
Follow the path north and it will take you along the brook to Shipley Park. Here you'll find 700 acres of parkland with lakes a visitor centre, play areas, and a wildlife garden.
After exploring the park the route then returns to Ilkeston on similar paths.
Ilkeston Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Ilkeston Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Ilkeston OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Ilkeston Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Ilkeston
- Shipley Country Park - This large country park near Ilkeston boasts 700 acres of attractive and varied landscape
- Mapperley Reservoir - Enjoy a short walk around this pretty reservoir in Shipley Country Park, near Ilkeston
- Nutbrook Trail - This easy cycling and walking trail runs from Long Eaton to Heanor along the Erewash Canal and a dismantled railway line
- Centenary Way - Follow the Centenary Way from Ilkeston to Ashbourne on this 25 mile walk through the Derbyshire countryside
- Erewash Canal - Follow the Erewash canal through south Derbyshire on this waterside cycling and walking route
- Bennerley Viaduct - This circular walk visit the Bennerley Viaduct, a now disused railway viaduct spanning the Erewash Valley between Awsworth and Ilkeston
- Cossall - This walk from the village of Cossall takes you to the Nottingham Canal Nature Reserve
- Nottingham Canal - Enjoy a walk or cycle along this pretty canal in Nottingham
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
At Shipley Park you'll come very close to Mapperley Reservoir which is worth a small detour from the route if you have time.
The Erewash Canal also runs through the area. You can pick up the towpath and enjoy an easy walk or cycle along this pretty waterway. Here you can visit the impressive Bennerley Viaduct.
Just to the east of the town you'll find the Nottingham Canal Nature Reserve at Cossall. There's a nice trail here with lots of water loving wildlife to see.