The Cheshire town of Knutsford has some lovely country walks to try. Highlights close to the town include the famous Tatton Park, the wildlife haven of Rostherne Mere and the North Cheshire Way long distance trail which passes through the town. This walk takes you from the town through Tatton Park to Rostherne Mere where there are lots of bird watching opportunites.
The walk starts from Knutsford train station and heads north to first visit Knutsford Moor. The Moor is a pretty park which forms the extreme southern tip of Tatton Mere. There's waterside paths, reed beds, wildlife and wildflowers to see here during the summer months.
The route then proceeds into the expansive Tatton Park. One of Cheshire's highlights the lovely park includes miles of footpaths taking you to two pretty meres, open parkland and attractive woodland.
After passing through the northern end of the park you will come to Rostherne Mere. The lovely mere is a great place to look out for birdlife with several water loving birds visiting the area.
After enjoying the mere the route then returns to the town centre and the train station on the same paths.
Knutsford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Knutsford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Knutsford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Knutsford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Knutsford
- Tatton Park - Explore the wonderful 1000 acre deer park on this walk or cycle in Knutsford, Cheshire
- Rostherne Mere - Visit this pretty natural lake in the village of Rostherne, Cheshire
- North Cheshire Way - Starting at Hooton Station, near Ellesmere Port, follow the North Cheshire Way through Frodsham, Northwich, Knutsford and Wilmslow to the finish point at Disley
- Mobberley - This Cheshire based village is located near Knutsford and Wilmslow
- Arley Hall - This walk visits Arley Hall and Gardens in the Cheshire based village of Arley
- Pickmere Lake - This pretty lake is located just north of Northwich in the Cheshire village of Pickmere.
- Marbury Country Park - This splendid country park is in a beautiful location in Northwich, Cheshire
- Budworth Mere - This walk takes you along the boardwalk at Budworth Mere in Marbury Country Park
- Anderton Boat Lift - This photogenic Cheshire based site is one of the highlights of the UK's waterways
- Great Budworth - This attractive and historic Cheshire village includes a fine 15th century church and an early 18th century pub
- Lower Peover - This Cheshire based village is located in a pleasant rural spot close to Knutsford and Northwich.
- Shakerley Mere - A short and easy walk around the pretty Shakerley Mere in the Goostrey area of Cheshire.
In Tatton Park there's the Stables cafe. The cafe offers self-service style dining with a menu focused on using Estate meats and harvest where possible and home grown, home made, seasonal produce.
With its woodland and parkland Tatton Park is a popular place for a dog walk. Please keep your dog under control because of the resident deer though.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area you could head east and try the Mobberley Walk. The neighbouring village is well worth a visit with historic buildings and some excellent pubs to investigate.
Just a few miles to the south there's Lower Peover where you can visit the Grade I listed church and enjoy a walk to Peover Hall. The 16th century country manor includes beautiful gardens which are open to the public on certain days. Just over a mile south of the village there's something of a hidden gem at Shakerley Mere. The pretty lake includes a 1 mile circular trail, lots of wildlife and pleasant woodland trails. There's also a fine 300 year old pub for refreshments after your exercise.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Cheshire Walks page.