This pretty North York Moors village is a fine place to start a walk. In the village there's lots of picturesque cottages, views of the Ings Beck and the noteworthy St Mary's Church. The ancient church is well worth investigating with its exquisite interior and an eleventh-century crypt.
This circular walk from the village takes you north along the Lastingham Ridge up to the Ana Cross. The wayside cross marks a medieval route way across the moor between Lastingham and the site of Rosedale Priory. The current cross dates from 1949 with the original moved to St Mary's church mentioned earlier. From the elevated position of the cross there are wonderful views across the moor.
The route then heads south across Spaunton Moor before descending back to the village. You could extend the walk at the northern end by continuing north into Rosedale where you could explore the historic abbey. A small detour to the west would take you to neighbouring Hutton-le-Hole where you could visit the excellent Ryedale Folk Museum.
PostcodeYO62 6TN - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Lastingham Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Lastingham Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Lastingham OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Lastingham Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Lastingham
- Hutton-le-Hole - This delightful village in the North York Moors is a splendid place for a stroll
- Cropton Forest - This large area of coniferous woodland on the North York Moors has miles of footpaths and bridleways for walkers and mountain bikers
- Levisham Circular Walk - A circular walk exploring the North York Moors around the village of Levisham
- Pickering - This ancient market town is in a good position for walkers wishing to explore the North York Moors National Park.
This walk takes you from Pickering to the nearby village of Levisham, passing Newbridge and Blansby Park on the way
- Hole of Horcum - Enjoy a circular walk around this beautiful natural amphitheatre in the North York Moors
- Farndale Daffodil Walk - Explore beautful Farndale on this lovely circular walk in the North York Moors National Park
- Kirkbymoorside - This market town is located in a lovely spot on the edge of the North York Moors in Ryedale.
- Rosedale - This circular walk explores Rosedale, a beautiful valley in the middle of the North York Moors
- Blakey Ridge - This circular walk explores Blakey Ridge in Rosedale
Back in the village you can enjoy some post walk refreshments at the 18th century Blacksmiths Arms. It's an attractive stone pub with a fine menu, a lovely garden area and a pizza oven. You can find them opposite the old church on Anserdale Lane at postcode YO62 6TN for your sat navs.
The moorland trails make for a fine dog walk and the Blacksmiths Arms mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the north east of the settlement you'll find the expansive Cropton Forest. The forest is a fine place for walking and cycling with miles of wide trails and deer to look out for as well.
For more walks in the area see the North York Moors Walks page.