Ribchester River and Country Walk
Enjoy a stroll through the historical Lancashire village of Ribchester before following a section of the Ribble Way to Hothersall. The circular route then returns to the village through the farmland to the west of Ribchester. There's some moderate climbing on the return leg with nice views to the hills of the Forest of Bowland on the way.
The village has an interesting history with the ruins of Bremetennacum Roman Fort still visible. You can visit the Roman Museum and view archaeological finds from the site, including coins, sculpture and metalwork.
It lies at the southern end of the Forest of Bowland near to Longridge Fell. The fell is a great place to extend your walking in the area with great views and peaceful woodland trails.
The long distance Forest of Bowland Walk also passes the fell so you could pick this up to explore the southern section of the AONB.
To the east of the village you can visit Whalley Abbey and enjoy more riverside paths along the River Calder. There's also some nice woodland trails in the nearby Spring Wood to try.
Heading east along the Ribble Way will take you to Great Mitton and Hurst Green where you can pick up the Tolkien Trail. The literary trail explores an area connected with the Lord of the Rings trilogy.
Just beyond Great Mitton you will find the attractive town of Clitheroe where you can explore the splendid castle and grounds.
Ribchester Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Ribchester Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Ribchester OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Ribchester Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Ribchester
- Ribble Way - Follow the River Ribble through the beautiful Ribble Valley from its mouth at Longton, near Preston, to the source at Gayle Moor in Yorkshire.
You start at Longton just to the west of Preston and follow the river through Ribchester and Clitheroe, before reaching Gisburn
- Clitheroe - Explore the Lancashire town of Clitheroe on this lovely walk in the Ribble Valley
- Forest of Bowland Walk - A circular walk around the Forest of Bowland AONB in Lancashire
- Longridge Fell - Enjoy a walk to the summit of England's most southerley fell on this wonderful walk in the Forest of Bowland
- Whalley Abbey and the River Calder - Visit the fascinating remains of this former Cistercian abbey and enjoy a waterside stroll along the Calder River on this lovely circular walk in Whalley
- Spring Wood Whalley - Follow the nature trail through delightful woodland on this easy walk in Whalley
- Tolkien Trail - This literary trail explores an area of the Ribble Valley thought to have inspired some of the landscapes from J.R.R Tolkien's 'Lord of the Rings' trilogy