Enjoy a stroll around the grounds of thisámedievalácastle in the town of Ruthin, North Wales. There's parkland, woodland and beautiful gardens with lots of wildlife to see. Look out for the resident peacocks, rabbits, butterflies and various birds.
The castle dates from the 13th century with some of the ruined walls now forming part of the Ruthin Castle Hotel.
You can turn it into a longer circular walk by picking up footpaths along the River Clwyd which runs past the grounds.
To extend your walking in the Ruthin area head along the river to enjoy lovely views of the Clwyd Valley. A nice riverside path runs north from the town toward Llawog.
To the east of the town you can pick up the Offa's Dyke Path and follow it to the nearby Moel Famau Country Park. Here you can enjoy wonderful views of the Wirral, Merseyside, Snowdonia, the Dee Valley and the coast.
Also nearby is Loggerheads Country Park and the Iron Age Hillfort at Moel Arthur.
Ruthin Castle Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Ruthin Castle Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Ruthin Castle OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Ruthin Castle Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Ruthin Castle
- Moel Famau Country Park - Climb to the top of Moel Famau mountain on this circular walk through the stunning Moel Famau Country Park
- Offa's Dyke Path - This incredible 177 mile trail starts on the River Severn Estuary in Gloucestershire in England before taking you over the border into Wales and on through some truly splendid mountainous scenery
- Loggerheads Country Park - Explore the beautiful Clwydian Range and Dee Valley in this stunning country park in Mold
- Moel Arthur - This short climb follows the Offa's Dyke Path from the Clywd Forest to Moel Arthur in the Clwydian Range AONB
- Maeshafn - This Welsh village is located in Denbighshire near the Clwydian Range.
- Foel Fenlli - This circular walk climbs to the hill fort at Foel Fenli in the Clwydian Range of mountains