This pretty South Devon village is in a lovely location on the River Teign Estuary.
There's some great riverside trails, coastal paths and the splendid Botanical Gardens to explore in the village. There's also a fine riverside pub to relax in after your exercise.
This circular walk takes you along the South West Coast Path to the lovely Labrador Bay Nature Reserve before heading through the countryside to pick up the River Teign Walk.
The walk starts next to the Teignmouth and Shaldon Bridge which crosses the River Teign estuary on the northern side of the village. Here you can pick up the Templer Way and follow it east along the river to meet with the coast path at The Ness. On the way you'll pass close to the Botanical Gardens which are well worth a small detour. Here you'll find a castle folly, pond, rill garden and an Italianate Garden. From the elevated position of the gardens there's also wonderful views across the river, Lyme Bay and the East Devon and Dorset coastline. You can find them at Torquay Rd, TQ14 0BH.
Follow the coast path south and it will take you along the lovely Ness Beach and Bundle Head to Labrador Bay. This area is a nature reserve with wonderful coastal views to enjoy from the high points. Look out for wildlife including cirl buntings and dolphins in this area.
The route then heads west along Butterfly Lane to Forches Hill before turning north along Teignharvey Road. This country lane will take you toward the river where you can pick up the River Teign Walk. Follow it east past Gravel Point and it will take you back into Shaldon.
PostcodeTQ14 0BN - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Please click here for more information
Shaldon Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Shaldon Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Shaldon OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Shaldon Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Shaldon
- Labrador Bay - This walk visits the lovely Labrador Bay nature reserve and coastal viewpoint near Shaldon in Devon.
- River Teign Walk - This walk explores the beautiful Teign Valley, following the River Teign from its source on Dartmoor to Shaldon on the Devon coast
- Templer Way - Follow the Templer Way from Haytor on Dartmoor to the seaport of Teignmouth via Newton Abbot
- Newton Abbot - This attractive market town has a number of good options for walkers
- Decoy Country Park - This is a short walk around the delightful Decoy Country Park in Newton Abbot, Devon
- Teignmouth and Dawlish Way - These two lovely coastal towns are connected by this popular walk devised by Teignmouth and Dawlish Ramblers
- Teignmouth to Dawlish Railway Walk - This popular coastal walk follows the South Devon Railway Sea Wall from Teignmouth to Dawlish
- Stover Canal - Follow the Stover Canal from Newton Abbot to Teigngrace on this short walk in South Devon
- Stover Country Park - Explore over 114 acres of woodland, heathland, grassland and lakes on this circular walk through the peaceful Stover Country Park, near Newton Abbot in Devon
- South West Coast Path - This incredible 600 mile walk follows the coast from Minehead in Somerset, through Devon and Cornwall and onto the finish point at Poole in Dorset
The Ness House is a fine place for some post walk refreshments. The inn is in a splendid position overlooking the Teign Estuary. It also has an interesting history having originally been built in 1810 as the summer home of the Clifford family. Rumour has it that the family subsequently enlarged their fortune through smuggling (via the smugglers tunnel which you can find just behind the Ness). Inside there's a splendid interior with a roaring fire. Outside there's a beautiful terrace and garden with lovely views. You can find them on Ness Drive with a postcode of TQ14 0HP for your sat navs.
The coast and country paths are great for dog walking. The Ness House mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the Devon Walks page.