West Ayton Walks
This delightful North York Moors village has some lovely local woodland and riverside walks to try.
This circular walk from the village visits the ruins of the 14th century Ayton Castle before heading through the Forge Valley Woods.
The walk starts in the village and heads north and then east to Dreakenfield Hill, passing the photogenic castle remains on the way.
You then head north through Stonyflat Wood before passing through the splendid Forge Valley. There's a lovely boardwalk to follow through the gorge with views of the River Derwent to enjoy. Also look out for a variety of wildlife including woodland birds and deer.
You continue north to Cockrah Foot where you could take a detour north to visit Hackness or west to Wykeham Forest. This route heads south returning to the village on alternative footpaths through through Scarwell Wood and the Forge Valley.
PostcodeYO13 9JE - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
West Ayton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
West Ayton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
West Ayton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
West Ayton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near West Ayton
- Forge Valley Woods - Follow the waterside trail through this delightful nature reserve in the North York Moors National Park
- Raincliffe Woods - This woodland area in the North York Moors has some good bridleways for mountain biking and nice walking trails
- Hackness - This village in the North York Moors has some fine riverside trails, expansive local woodland and some excellent viewpoints to climb to.
- Wykeham Forest - This large forest in the North York Moors has miles of walking trails and a mountain bike trail.
- Tabular Hills Walk - This long distance trail takes you across the southern boundary of the North York Moors National Park
- Dalby Forest - Enjoy miles of cycling and walking trails in this large forest in the North York Moors
- Bridestones - Visit these fascinating sandstone sculptures on this splendid walk in Dalby Forest
- Helmsley Circular Walk - A lovely circular walk from Helmsley passing through Rye Dale and visiting the wonderful Rievaulx Abbey
- Broxa Forest - Visit this large forest on the North York Moors and enjoy miles of good woodland trails
- Harwood Dale Forest - Enjoy a walk through this large forest and around the pretty village of Harwood Dale on this circular route in the North York Moors.
You can start your walk from the village and then head north to reach the forest
- Langdale Forest - This large forest in the North Yorks Moors has mountain bike trails and walking routes to try
- Scarborough - This famous seaside resort is located in a great spot on the North Yorkshire coast
- Scarborough to Filey - This is a popular coastal walk between these two attractive North Yorkshire towns
- Peasholm Park - Enjoy a walk along tree lined paths in this delightful park in Scarborough
Back in the village you can enjoy refreshments in Ye Old Forge Valley Inn. The historic Tudor-style coaching inn dates back to the the 18th century and is located in a fine spot alongside John Carr's bridge over the River Derwent. They serve excellent homecooked food which you can enjoy in the lovely garden area on warmer days. There's good facilites too with a large car park and pool table. You can find them on 5 Pickering Road in West Ayton with a postcode of YO13 9JE for your sat navs.
The moorland and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Old Forge Valley Inn mentioned above is also very dog friendly with water bowls and biscuits provided.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head east to the coast and you could visit the popular town of Scarborough. Here you could visit the splendid Peasholm Park or pick up the coastal path on the Scarborough to Filey Walk.
For more walking ideas in the area see the North York Moors Walks page.