Rotherham Walks - Rotherham Round
This minster town in South Yorkshire is a fine place for walkers with a number of country parks, riverside trails, local reservoirs and some lovely waymarked footpaths to try.
This is a circular walk through the countryside around the interesting Yorkshire town. The walk starts at All Saints' Parish Church in the town centre of Rotherham and circles the town on a series of footpaths and country lanes.
Walk highlights include views of the River Don and the Grade I listed Wentworth Woodhouse Country House with its lovely 150 acre park. You'll also pass close to the lovely Ulley Reservoir Country Park and Treeton Dyke at the southern end of the route.
Rotherham Round Walk Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Rotherham Round Walk Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Rotherham Round Walk OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Rotherham Round Walk Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Rotherham
- Wentworth Woodhouse - Explore the extensive parkland and gardens surrounding this Grade I listed country house in the village of Wentworth, near Rotherham.
The circular walk starts in Wentworth village and picks up the Rotherham Round long distance trail to take you into Wentworth Park
- Ulley Country Park - Enjoy a short walk or cycle around the beautiful Ulley Reservoir near Rotherham
- Thrybergh Country Park - Enjoy a waterside walk around Thrybergh Reservoir in this beautiful country park in Rotherham. The park has 170 species of wildflower and plants, 200 species of birds and 20 species of mammals. It is surrounded by some truly lovely Yorkshire countryside making for a splendid short stroll.
- Five Churches Walk - Visit five historic churches on this circular walk in South Rotherham
- Westwood Country Park - This pretty country park is located near Wentworth and Rotherham in Yorkshire
- Wharncliffe Woods - Enjoy miles of cycling and walking trails through this large wooded area near Rotherham
- Rother Valley Country Park - Rother Valley Country Park is located near Sheffield and is an excellent place for a peaceful waterside walk or cycle
- Five Weirs Walk - This cycling and walking trail follows National Cycle Route 6 along the River Don from Sheffield City Centre to the Meadowhall Shopping centre
- Barnsley Boundary Walk - A super circular walk around the South Yorkshire town.Walk highlights includes a series of lovely reservoirs, the beautiful Peak District scenery and the splendid Bretton Country Park
- Trans Pennine Trail - This terrific walking and cycling trail runs from coast to coast across northern England entirely on surfaced paths
- Treeton Dyke - This circular walk takes you around Treeton Dyke and woods in Rotherham.
- Harthill Reservoir - This pretty reservoir is located in the village of Harthill in South Yorkshire
- Pebley Reservoir - This walk visits Pebley Reservoir and Harthill Reservoir from the Derbyshire village of Barlborough
The Cutlers Arms is a good choice for refreshment in the town. The building dates from 1825 and has recently been restored to its former Edwardian splendour. The pub includes a garden area for warmer days. You can find them at 29 Westgate with a postcode of S60 1BQ for your sat navs.
The country and woodland trails make for a fine dog walk. The Cutlers Arms mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Boston Castle and Park is located to the south of the town. There are great views over the town from the elevated position of the castle. The site also includes beautiful gardens and Canklow Woods, an ancient woodland area. The area is a great place to continue your walking around Rotherham. You can find the park at 33 Boston Castle Grove with a postcode of S60 2BA.