Charmouth Walks - Near and Around
Go fossil hunting on Charmouth beach and enjoy wonderful views of the Jurassic Coast on this walk in Dorset. This circular walk starts from the Charmouth Beach car park where you can gain access to the beach and search for fossils. The route then makes use of two long distance trails to take you along the beautiful stretch of coast. You first head east along the Monarch's Way to Stonebarrow Hill before returning along Stonebarrow Lane along the South West Coast Path. You can then finish the walk with a stroll through the pretty village of Charmouth before returning to the car park. The walk includes some wonderful cliff top scenery, beautiful beaches and a range of interesting flora and fauna. There are also nice views of the River Char which you'll cross twice at the start and end of the walk.
Charmouth can also be reached on foot from Lyme Regis by following the South West Coast Path east for about 2 miles. You can also extend your walk by heading east along the coast to the splendid Golden Cap Estate.
The Lyme Regis to Charmouth circular walk visits the fascinating cliffs at Black Ven and the Lyme Regis Golf Club.
PostcodeDT6 6LL - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Charmouth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Charmouth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Charmouth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Charmouth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Charmouth
- Lyme Regis to Charmouth - Follow the coastal path from Lyme Regis to Charmouth on this popular walk in West Dorset
- Golden Cap Estate - Enjoy miles of beautiful woodland, countryside and coastal walking trails in this stunning section of the Dorset AONB. The Golden Cap Estate is located between Bridport and Charmouth on the Dorset coast
- Circular Walk Around Lyme Regis - This circular walk around Lyme Regis makes use of the Monarch's Way and the Wessex Ridgeway to take you up into the countryside above the town before exploring the beautiful coast
- Axminster - The market town of Axminster sits in a nice location in the valley of the River Axe and within the East Devon AONB
- Golden Cap Walk from Seatown - Visit the spectacular Golden Cap Estate from the village of Seatown on this coastal walk in West Dorset
- Uplyme to Lyme Regis - Enjoy a peaceful waterside walk along the River Lim from Uplyme to Lyme Regis
- Jurassic Coast - Walk the entire length of the spectacular Jurassic Coast on this epic route in south west England
- Lyme Regis to Seaton Undercliff Walk - Travel from Dorset into Devon on this popular walk through the Undercliff National Nature Reserve
- Seaton Marshes - Follow the Seaton Tramway Walk from Seaton to Colyford through the beautiful Seaton Marshes on this walk in East Devon
- Lamberts Castle to Coneys Castle - Enjoy wonderful views over Dorset's beautiful Marshwood Vale on this circular walk near Bridport
There are two small cafes on the sea front serving a good range of meals and snacks in an excellent location. If you fancy a pub lunch head into the village and visit the Royal Oak. They serve a great Sunday Roast and can be found at a postcode of DT6 6PE for your sat navs.
The coast and countryside around the village are great for dog walking. The Royal Oak mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head a few miles inland and you could try the National Trust's Lamberts Castle to Coneys Castle Walk. The walk visits historic old hill forts where you can enjoy some stunning views over the countryside of the Marshwood Vale.
Just to the east there's the climb to the lovely viewpoint at Colmers Hill from the picturesque village of Symondsbury. The historic village includes an ancient church and a noteworthy 15th century, thatched pub.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Dorset Walks page.