Circular Walk Around Porthmadog
This attractive coastal town in Gwynedd has some lovely coastal walking paths and beautiful beaches to explore. This circular walk around the town takes you along waymarked coastal paths before heading inland to climb Moel y Gest for fine views over the Llyn Peninsula.
The walk starts at Porthmadog Harbour and heads south along the Llyn Coastal Path and the Wales Coast Path. The trail takes you past Borth-y-Gest to the beach at Morfa Bychan. Here you can follow the path along the beach, passing the sand dunes and the cliffs. The path then leaves the cliffs and heads inland on public footpaths and country lanes toward Moel y Gest. The summit stands at a height of 263 m (863 ft), offering fine views over the Llŷn Peninsula, the Rhinogydd, Moelwynion, Moel Hebog, and Snowdon. At the top you will also find a hillfort which shows some resemblance to the "nuclear forts" of the Early Middle Ages found in Scotland.
After enjoying the views the route descends back to the coast path which you can follow back to Porthmadog.
To continue your walking in the area you can try the Porthmadog to Portmeirion Walk which takes you over the estuary of the Afon Glaslyn to the picturesque Italian style village of Portmeirion. Following the Llyn Coastal Path west will take you to Criccieth where you can enjoy another nice beach and visit the ruins of Criccieth Castle.
Porthmadog Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Porthmadog Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Porthmadog OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Porthmadog Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Porthmadog
- Porthmadog to Portmeirion - This walk takes you from Porthmadog to the delightful Italian style village of Portmeirion on the other side of the estuary of the Afon Glaslyn
- Portmeirion - Enjoy a walk around this popular tourist attraction built in the style of an Italian village
- Llyn Coastal Path - Follow the Llyn Peninsula from Caernarfon to Porthmadog on this stunning coastal walk
- Moel y Gest - This hill near Porthmadog offers fine views over North Wales including the Llŷn Peninsula, the Rhinogydd, Moelwynion, Moel Hebog, and Snowdon.
This walk starts at the lovely harbour in Porthmadog and follows the coastal path south to Borth-y-Gest
- Criccieth - This circular walk explores the coast and countryside surrounding the town of Criccieth in the Eifionydd area of Gwynedd
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The Ffestiniog Railway is one of the major attractions of the area and a must for train enthusiasts. The heritage railway runs from the harbour at Porthmadog to the slate mining town of Blaenau Ffestiniog, travelling through beautiful forested and mountainous scenery.