Circular Walk around Alcester
The Warwickshire settlement of Alcester has several popular waymarked walking trails running through or close by the town. This fine circular walk uses sections of the Arden Way, the Monarch's Way and the Heart of England Way to explore the countryside and woodland surrounding the old Roman town. You'll visit highlights such as Coughton Court, Oversley Wood, the River Arrow and the Spernal section of the Heart of England Forest.
Starting in the town centre by the river, you first head south east along the Arden Way to Oversley Wood. There's some nice trails here with with lots of bluebells and wildflowers to enjoy in the spring and summer months.
The route then heads north east through farmland towards Upton, Walcote and Aston Cantlow where there are good views of the River Alne. You continue north from the village, passing Spernal Park before coming to Bannam's Wood. The route turns south here across Morton Common to the village of Spernall, located on the River Arrow. From here there's a nice stretch along the river to Coughton. Here you can visit the Tudor Coughton Court with its walled garden, lake, knot garden, vegetable garden, orchard and bog garden.
From here you head east to New End before picking up the Monarch's Way to return you to Alcester.
To continue your walking in the area head south east and visit Stratford Upon Avon. There's some fine waterside walks along the canal and the River Avon here.
Alcester Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Alcester Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Alcester OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Alcester Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Alcester
- Arden Way - This circular walk takes you on a tour of the beautiful Forest of Arden in Warwickshire
- Monarch's Way - This incredible 615-mile walk approximates the escape route taken by King Charles II in 1651 after being defeated in the Battle of Worcester
- Heart of England Way - Follow the Heart of England Way through the Midlands of England
- Coughton Court - Explore the beautiful gardens of the Tudor Coughton Court, before a lovely waterside stroll along the River Arden on this walking route in Warwickshire
- Oversley Wood - Follow the woodland trails through the delightful forest on this circular walk in Alcester
- Stratford Upon Avon - The Warwickshire town of Stratford Upon Avon is famously associated with William Shakespeare