Bury Canal, River and Reservoirs Walk
A circular walk around Bury, taking in the River Irwell, two reservoirs and the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal. There's nice, easy waterside paths and some great views of the surrounding Pennine Hills to enjoy on the way.
The walk starts in the town centre just to the west of the train station. Here you can pick up the Irwell Sculpture Trail and follow it south and then west to reach the Manchester, Bolton and Bury Canal. Follow the towpath south towards Radcliffe before turning right to Crow Trees Farm and Withins Reservoir. Follow the paths on the right on the reservoir and they will lead you to the larger Elton Reservoir. It's a lovely spot with nice views across the water to the rolling hills beyond.
Continue north past the reservoir and you can pick up the Daisyfield Greenway which will take you back into the town centre.
To continue your walking in the Bury area head north along the Irwell Sculpture Trail through Burrs Country Park to Ramsbottom. Here you can enjoy a climb to the Peel Tower. Located on Holcombe Hill the distinctive monument is dedicated to Sir Robert Peel, the 19th century Prime Minister considered the father of modern British policing. It's a major local landmark and worth the climb to the top for the views over Bury and the surrounding area.
In Radcliffe you can pick up the Outwood Trail and visit Outwood Country Park. The cycling and walking trail runs along a disused railway line from Radcliffe to Prestwich, passing Clifton Country Park on the way.
Bury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Bury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Bury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Bury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Bury
- Elton Reservoir - Enjoy an easy circular walk around this pretty reservoir in Bury
- Irwell Sculpture Trail - Follow the River Irwell on this splendid waterside walk through Greater Manchester and enjoy over 70 artworks by renowned artists
- Peel Tower - This walk climbs to the Peel Monument on Holcombe Hill in Ramsbottom near Bury
- Clifton Country Park - This country park and nature reserve is located between Bolton and Manchester in Salford
- Outwood Trail - This cycling and walking trail runs along a disused railway line from Radcliffe to Prestwich
- Burrs Country Park - This walk takes you around the pretty Burrs Country Park, situated on the River Irwell just north of Bury
- Prestwich Forest Park - Enjoy a peaceful walk or cycle in this pretty country park in Bury
The Eagle and Child in Ramsbottom is a pub worthy of some investigation. It was named Great British Pub Awards ‘Pub of the Year’ in September 2017 and has a whole host of other awards to its name. It's a pub with a social conscience targeting young people who are marginalised and need extra help such as young offenders and disabled young people. They're rated as one of the best food pubs in Greater Manchester, having consistently featured in all the main national newspapers ‘Top 50 Sunday Lunch’ features. One of the main attractions is a stunning Orangery dining room, with fine views across the Irwell valley to Holcombe. The expansive garden area includes an outdoor kitchen and bar, polytunnel, veg beds, compost beds, fruit shrubs and ornamental beds and a mini orchard with chickens. It's a lovely setting and the ideal place to round off your walk. You can find the pub in the town on Whalley Rd with a postcode of BL0 0DL for your sat navs.