Eskdale - River and Fells Walk
Explore beautiful Eskdale and enjoy waterside paths along the rushing River Esk on this varied route. Along the way there's lots of waterfalls, beautiful Lakeland scenery and fabulous views from the high points.
Eskdale is one of the quieter areas of the Lake District so expect a peaceful and beautiful valley walk.
You can start the walk from Dalegarth where there is a car park and a train station on the Ravenglass & Eskdale Railway. From here you can pick up the footpaths along the river passing Gill Force waterfall. The walk takes you along the river to Brotherikeld before climbing to Cam Spout Crag, close to Scafell Pike. You then follow a splendid elevated path to Silverybield Crag before descending to Scale Gill. The route then finishes by following the river back to Dalegarth.
There's lots of other great walks in the Eskdale area to try. You could enjoy a climb to Muncaster Fell just to the west of Dalegarth. It's another great ridge walk with fine views over the Cumbrian Coast around Ravenglass.
Near Brotherikeld you can climb to Harter Fell and enjoy woodland trails through Dunnerdale Forest.
Also nearby is Devoke Water, the largest tarn in the Lake District.
In Upper Eskdale you can climb to Scafell Pike, the highest mountain in England.
Eskdale Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Eskdale Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Eskdale Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Eskdale
- Muncaster Fell - This fine circular walk near Ravenglass climbs to Muncaster Fell with a visit to Muncaster Tarn and great views along the Cumbrian Coast
- Devoke Water - This walk visits Devoke Water, the largest tarn in the Lake District
- Harter Fell - An enjoyable climb to Harter Fell in the Eskdale area of the Western Lake District.
You can start the walk from the car park at Birks Bridge, just over a mile to the east of the fell
- Scafell Pike - Climb the highest mountain in England on this spectacular walk in the Lake District
- Stanley Ghyll Force - This lovely walk in Eskdale takes you to Stanley Ghyll Force Waterfall
- Blea Tarn - This is a nice easy walk around the lovely Blea Tarn near Eltwerwater in the Lake District National Park
- Crinkle Crags - Crinkle Crags stands at a height of 859 m (2,818 ft) surrounding the valleys of Great Langdale and Upper Eskdale