This Cumbrian village is located in a remote and scenic spot in the North Pennine AONB.
Local walking highlights include the waymarked South Tyne Trail. This long distance riverside trail can be followed along the river south to Tyne Head where you will find a sculpture marking the source of the river.
To the east you can explore the Nenthead Mines and visit the heritage centre where you can learn all about the lead and zinc mining history of the area.
For cyclists the village is located on the epic Coast to Coast Whitehaven to Tynemouth cycle route. Garrigill is a popular place for a pit stop along this epic trail.
This short walk from the village takes you south along the South Tyne Trail to visit Ashgill Force waterfall. Along the way there are lovely views of the rushing river before coming to the photogenic falls. It's a lovely spot with the 55 feet high falls and a number of smaller cascades to see on the way.
PostcodeCA9 3DS - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Garrigill Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Garrigill Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Garrigill OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Garrigill Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Garrigill
- Ashgill Force - This circular walk visits the Ashgill Force waterfall in the North Pennines
- Nenthead - This circular walk explores the area around the Cumbrian village of Nenthead.
- South Tyne Trail - Travel through the fabulous North Pennines and enjoy some spectaular scenery on this shared walking and cycle path.
The trail starts off at Tyne Head - the source of the River South Tyne
- Alston - This Cumbrian market town is located in a lovely spot on the River South Tyne
- High Force Waterfall - Visit the spectacular Low Force and High Force waterfalls on this waterside walk in the North Pennines Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Hardraw Force Walk - This walk takes you to the beautiful Hardraw Force waterfall in the Yorkshire Dales
- Cow Green Reservoir and Cauldron Snout - This walk takes you along the beautiful Cow Green Reservoir to the spectacular Cauldron Snout waterfall in the North Pennines AONB.
You start off at the car park at Cow Green Reservoir which is located on the eastern side of the water at a postcode of DL12 0HX
- Isaac's Tea Trail - Follow in the footsteps of the legendary tea seller Isaac Holden on this challenging circular walk through the North Pennines.
The walk starts at the pretty village of Allendale Town, and heads south along the River East Allen and through West Allen Dale to Nenthead, where you will find the interesting Nenthead Mining Centre
- Burnhope Reservoir - Enjoy a peaceful circular walk around this reservoir in Weardale
- Allenheads - This historic former mining village is located in the Pennines in the county of Northumberland
Back in the village head to The George & Dragon Inn for some post exercise refreshment. The historic building dates back to 1611 with the pub opening in the early 1800s. They serve good quality home cooked food and have a good selection of ales. Inside there's a cosy interior with flagstone floors and wood burners. There are also picnic tables outside where you can relax with a lovely view of the village on warmer days.
In 2023 the pub underwent an extensive restoration project.
You can find the inn at postcode CA9 3DS for your sat navs.