This walk visits some of the highlights of the Lyndhurst Area of the New Forest. The village is conviently located to visit a number of major attractions on foot. The 10 mile circular walk visits the New Forest Reptile Centre Trail, the Knightwood Oak and the Bolderwood Deer Sanctuary.
The walk starts in Lyndhurst on Swan Green, just to the west of the village centre. Follow Cut Walk south west to Warwick Slade where you cross the Highland Water stream. Here you turn right to visit the New Forest Reptile Centre where there's a nice trail on well surfaced tree lined paths with a variety of wildlife to look out for. The centre has all of Britain's native lizards, snakes, frogs and toads.
The route then passes through Wooson's Hill Inclosure before coming to the Bolderwood Deer Sanctuary. Here you will find a large herd of fallow deer with a viewing platform overlooking the meadow where the deer congregate.
At Bolderwood you turn south, heading through the North Oakley Inclosure to the Knightwood Oak. The tree is over 500 years old and the largest oak tree in the New Forest.
The route then returns to the village, passing the Reptile Centre and White Moor. Lyndhurst has an attractive high street with a number of good cafes and pubs where you can enjoy refreshments after your walk.
Other Walks around Lyndhurst
- New Forest Reptile Centre Trail - Follow the Reptile Discovery Trail on this easy walk in the New Forest
- Knightwood Oak - Visit the largest oak tree in the New Forest on this short, accessible walk
- Ashurst New Forest - With its own train station and easy access to a number of walking trails, the village of Ashurst is a popular visitor attraction.
This circular walk takes you through the woodland on the south eastern side of the village
- Furzey Gardens - Enjoy a peaceful stroll around these beautiful gardens in Minstead in the New Forest
- Cadman's Pool - This is a particularly lovely and fairly quiet area of the New Forest
- Bolderwood Deer Sanctuary - This is a short walk in the New Forest taking you around the Bolderwood Deer Sanctuary
- Blackwater Arboretum Trail - Explore the New Forest's Blackwater Arboretum on two super waymarked walking trails