Around Much Wenlock
A circular walk around the Shropshire town of Much Wenlock, visiting the Wenlock Priory before exploring the surrounding countryside. There's nice views of the Shropshire hills including the famous Wrekin.
Starting in the centre of the town the walk picks up the Shropshire Way long distance trail and follows it to the nearby Wenlock Priory. The fascinating site includes the atmospheric ruins of the 12th century St Milburga's Priory and some fine topiary in the surrounding grounds. It is run by English Heritage who charge a reasonable fee for entry. This gives you access to the Norman Chapter House with its elaborate stone carvings and the cloister garden. Here you'll find a huge lavabo (water vessel) with 12th-century carvings and some attractive topiary.
After exploring the priory the route then picks up public footpaths to take you east, towards Arlescott Farm. Here you can see the humps and hollows of the lost medieval village of Arlescott.
The route then turns left to pick up a section of the Jack Mytton Way to Wyke Farm. Here you turn west and follow the trail along a country lane to Bradley Farm where you turn south to return to the town.
To extend your walking in the area follow the Shropshire Way north east to visit Ironbridge. Here you can pick up the Ironbridge Way and enjoy riverside trails on the Severn Way.
Also of interest is the splendid Wenlock Edge which runs from the town to Craven Arms along a splendid limestone escarpment. Our Wenlock Edge Circular Walk starts from the National Trust car park close to the town and visits the historical site of Major's Leap.
Much Wenlock Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Much Wenlock Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Much Wenlock OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Much Wenlock Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Much Wenlock
- Shropshire Way - This walk takes you through some of the most beautiful countryside in Shropshire
- Jack Mytton Way - This is a splendid walk or mountain bike ride through Shropshire from Cleobury Mortimer to Llanfair Waterdine
- Ironbridge Way - Starting in Leegomery head south to the historic Ironbridge on this 8 mile walk through Shropshire
- Wenlock Edge - Wenlock Edge runs from Craven Arms to Much Wenlock, in the Shropshire Hills AONB
- Severn Way - Follow the River Severn from its source at Plynlimon in Powys, to Bristol, the mouth of the river
- Wenlock Edge Circular Walk - This circular walk from Much Wenlock explores the eastern end of the beautiful Wenlock Edge