This Hertfordshire based town is located near Bishop's Stortford and Harlow close to the border with Essex. The interesting town has some lovely riverside trails and an expansive local park to explore.
This circular walk from the town uses sections of the Stort Valley Way and the Harcamlow Way to explore the area to the south of the town.
The walk starts at the train station and heads south along the River Stort Navigation with pretty locks and weirs to see. Follow the waterside footpath south and it will take you past Feakes Lock towards Old Harlow. The route then turns north passing the historic Pishiobury Park which includes ‘Capability’ Brown style landscape features. There's also wet woodland (The Osier Bed), grazed fields and flood meadows to admire here. The route finishes by heading through Nursery Wood before exploring the town centre and returning to the train station.
Sawbridgeworth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Sawbridgeworth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Sawbridgeworth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Sawbridgeworth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Sawbridgeworth
- Stort Valley Way - A lovely riverside circular walk around Harlow, Nazeing and Roydon.
- Bishop's Stortford Canal and River Walk - Follow the River Stort Navigation canal from Bishop's Stortford to Hoddesdon, on this delightful waterside walk through Hertfordshire
- Harlow - Harlow is located in West Essex in a nice spot in the River Stort Valley
- Three Forests Way - This circular walk links three fine forests in the Essex/Hertfordshire area - Hatfield Forest, Hainault Forest and Epping Forest
- Parndon Wood - This lovely nature reserve in Harlow has a 1.5km nature trail to try
- Saffron Walden - This circular walk tours the countryside around the Essex town of Saffron Walden
- Audley End - Explore the stunning gardens surrounding this spectacular Jacobean mansion in Saffron Walden, Essex
- Clavering - This circular walk explores the countryside to the north of the Essex village of Clavering
- Stansted Mountfitchet - This interesting Essex based village includes an historic castle, a church dating from the 12th-13th century, and a pleasant local nature reserve for easy walks
- Rye Meads - This RSPB bird reserve in Hoddesdon has some nice nature trails to try.
- Birchanger Wood - This short circular walk visits Birchanger Wood from the village of Birchanger near Bishop's Stortford.
- Hatfield Forest - Enjoy a cycle or walk around this ancient royal hunting forest in Bishop's Stortford, Essex
- Newport Essex - This historic Essex based village includes a train station and some fine Tudor timber framed buildings
Head to The Old Bell for some rest and refreshment after your exercise. The historic pub is housed in a 16th Century timber-framed former coaching house. There's a charming interior with exposed beams and a fine open fireplace. Outside there's a pleasant garden area for warmer days. You can find them on Bell Street at postcode CM21 9AN for your sat navs.
The river trails and the open parkland of Pishiobury Park are ideal for a dog walk. The Old Bell mentioned above is also dog friendly.