Stanstead Abbotts Walks
This Hertfordshire based village is located just south of Ware, near to the River Lee.
This walk from the village takes you along a section of the Lea Valley Walk to visit the lovely Rye Meads Nature Reserve. On the way you will visit Stanstead Lock and pass neighbouring St Margarets. The reserve has some nice footpaths with lots of wildlife to see.
Please scroll down for the full list of walks near and around Stanstead Abbotts. The detailed maps below also show a range of footpaths, bridleways and cycle paths in the area.
Stanstead Abbotts Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Stanstead Abbotts Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Stanstead Abbotts OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Stanstead Abbotts Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Stanstead Abbotts
- Rye Meads - This RSPB bird reserve in Hoddesdon has some nice nature trails to try.
- Ware - This Hertfordshire based town has two rivers to explore and a fine local nature reserve to visit.
- Lea Valley Walk - A super walk with a series of delightful waterside sections along the River Lea
- Stort Valley Way - A lovely riverside circular walk around Harlow, Nazeing and Roydon.
- Harcamlow Way - This long distance walk takes you to some of the most beautiful countryside, interesting historical sites and delightful country parks in the counties of Cambridgeshire, Essex and Hertfordshire.
The route is a figure-of-eight, starting in Harlow and first heading to Saffron Walden where you will pass the splendid Jacobean mansion and gardens at Audley End
- New River Path - Follow the man made New River from Hertford to Islington on this easy waterside walk
- Forty Hall - This manor house in Enfield is surrounded by lovely parkland and gardens
- Enfield - This North London based market town has some nice local parks, several waymarked trails, a historic local hall and waterside trails along the New River which runs past the town.
- Amwell Nature Reserve - This nature reserve is located in village of Great Amwell just to the south of Ware in Hertfordshire.
- Hertford Heath - A circular walk around this pretty nature reserve in Hertford.
Built in 1538 the historic Red Lion pub is one of the oldest buildings in the area and the second oldest in Stanstead Abbotts. It started life as a monastery, then a coaching inn and was renovated in 2005 to help reinstate the character of the pub. They serve good quality food and gave a garden area. You can find them on the High Street at postcode SG12 8AA. The pub is dog friendly.