Swanton Morley Walks
This attractive Norfolk village is located just to the north of Dereham in the heart of the county. The award winning village includes a noteworthy 14th century church and an early 17th century pub with links to the ancestors of Abraham Lincoln.
This route from the village uses sections of the Walsingham Way and the Wensum Way to create a circular walk through the surrounding countryside. On the way there's pretty villages, ancient churches and views of the River Blackwater to enjoy.
The walk starts on the northern side of the village where you can pick up the Walsingham Way and follow it north to Worthing where you can see the picturesque Worthing Mill on the River Blackwater.
The route then heads south west on country lanes towards Hoe where you can pick up the Wensum Way. You could take a small detour from the route here and head west to visit The Rough nature reserve near Gressenhall. This route follows the trail east to return to Swanton Morley.
PostcodeNR20 4NY - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Swanton Morley Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Swanton Morley Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Swanton Morley OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Swanton Morley Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Swanton Morley
- Wensum Way - This route takes you from Gressenhall to Lenwade, passing through the lovely River Wensum Valley in Norfolk.
- Walsingham Way - This walk takes you from the historic abbey in Great Walsingham to the city of Norwich
- Swaffham - This attractive market town is located in the Breckland District of Norfolk
- Pensthorpe - This 700 acre natural park in Fakenham has miles of nice walking trails to try
- Foxley Wood - Visit the largest ancient woodland in Norfolk on this peaceful walk near Dereham
- Reepham - This small market town in Norfolk lies in a pleasant spot between the River Bure and River Wensum valleys
- Hellesdon Circular Walk - A circular walk from the Norwich village of Hellesdon
- Dereham - This historic Norfolk market town sits in the heart of the county
- Holkham Park - Enjoy a super cycle or walk in this 3000 acre deer park near Wells-Next-The-Sea on the Norfolk coast
Back in the village you can enjoy some post exercise refreshment at Darby's. The Rustic country pub includes a characterful interior with tractor seats as bar stools. They have an extensive menu including a fine Sunday roast. You can find them on Elsing Road with a postcode of NR20 4NY for your sat navs.
There's also the Angel which dates back to 1610 and is Grade II listed. Inside there's roaring fire and a low ceiling with original beams which have English hops hanging from them. You can find them at 66 Greengate, NR20 4LX
The country trails make for a fine dog walk. The two local pubs mentioned above are also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Follow the Walsingham Way north and you could visit the lovely Pensthorpe Park near Fakenham. This 700 acre natural park is something of a local highlight with miles of walking trails taking you to lakes, ponds, gardens and riverside trails.