The historic tourist town of Blackpool is situated on the Irish Sea on the Lancashire coast. There's plenty of good coastal walks, pretty parks and river trails to follow through the area.
This coastal walk takes you from the town to Fleetwood using a section of the Lancashire Coastal Way. The route runs for a distance of just under 10 miles along a fairly flat, waymarked footpath. Along the way there's nice sea views and on a clear day you will even have the Lake District hills as a fine backdrop.
The walk starts from the world famous Blackpool Tower which dates from the late 19th century. From here you head north passing the North Pier on your way to Bispham. The route continues past the town of Cleveleys before rounding Rossall Point and finishing in Fleetwood. In Fleetwood you can catch the ferry over to Knott End where there's more coastal walks to enjoy. You can pick up the Wyre Way around here and follow it to the Wyre Estuary Country Park where there's lots of wildlife to see.
Blackpool Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Blackpool Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Blackpool OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Blackpool Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Blackpool
- Stanley Park - This lovely park in Blackpool has nice footpaths and a cycle trail to enjoy
- Marton Mere - Enjoy a short walk around this pretty nature reserve near Blackpool
- Lancashire Coastal Way - Travel along the beautiful Lancashire coast from Silverdale to Freckleton on this fairly easy walk.
You start off at Silverdale and head south to Morecambe Bay passing Warton and Bolton le Sands
- Knott End - Enjoy a circular walk around this pretty coastal village in Lancashire
- Wyre Way - Follow the course of the River Wyre from Fleetwood to Abbeystead Reservoir on this 45 mile waymarked walk in Lancashire.
- Wyre Estuary Country Park - Enjoy a walk along the network of accessible paths by the beautiful Wyre Estuary in this waterside country park near Blackpool
- Ribble Estuary - Explore the most important river estuary in the UK on this coastal walk in Lytham St Annes
- Fleetwood - This Lancashire coastal town is located a few miles north of the popular seaside resort of Blackpool
- Poulton-le-Fylde - This Lancashire market town has some nice local river and coastal walks to try.
The coastal path and the wide beaches make the area excellent for dog walking.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To contine your walking around Blackpool head inland to visit the famous Stanley Park. Near here there's also the pretty Marton Mere where there are good birdwatching opportunites.
If you head south from the town you could visit the quieter town of Lytham St Annes. There's some nice beaches here and fine views over the Ribble Estuary which is a signifcant place for wildfowl.