This pleasant circular walk in the town of Chester-le-Street visits the riverside gardens and Lumley Castle.
You can start the walk from the parking area at the riverside park, just to the east of the city centre. You could also start from the train station and walk a short distance through the town to the river.
In the pretty park there are wildflower meadows, sculptures, artist-designed ornamental gardens, a cafe and nice riverside footpaths. After exploring the park, cross Lumley Bridge and pick up the Weardale Way which will take you along the River Wear to Lumley Castle.
The impressive 14th-century quadrangular castle is now a hotel where you could enjoy a nice cream tea before continuing your walk.
After leaving the castle the route heads through the golf course to return to the river and the finish point at the car park.
Chester-le-Street Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Chester-le-Street Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Chester-le-Street OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Chester-le-Street Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Chester-le-Street
- Waldridge Fell Country Park - Enjoy fantastic views of the surrounding countryside in this country park in Chester-le-Street
- Great North Forest Heritage Trail - This circular cycle and walking route takes you through the countryside of this former mining area in Tyne and Wear
- Consett and Sunderland Railway Path - A walk or cycle along a disused railway path from Consett to Sunderland
- Weardale Way - Follow the River Wear from the coast at Sunderland to Killhope Lead Mining Museum in the Pennines
- Allensford Country Park - Enjoy riverside woodland walks and magnificent views of the Derwent Valley in this country park near Consett
- Hetton Lyons Country Park - Enjoy a walk or cycle around this attractive country park in Hetton-Le-Hole
- Penshaw Monument - Climb Penshaw Hill and visit this iconic Sunderland landmark on this short walk in Tyne and Wear
- James Steel Park - Enjoy riverside walking and cycling in this country park situated on the River Wear in Washington, Sunderland