This circular walk around the market town of Cockermouth makes use of a section of the Allerdale Ramble to take you on a tour of the countryside surrounding the town. There's much to enjoy, with good views of the River Derwent, peaceful woodland trails and some good hill climbs with great views of North Lakeland.
The walk starts in the town and heads north east along the waymarked trail to Watch Hill. It's a moderate climb, with the hill standing at a height of 254 m (833 ft). From the summit there are splendid views of Skiddaw, Blencathra, the Lord's Seat and Grisedale Pike. You also get a great view of Cockermouth itself and the Solway Coast AONB.
From Watch Hill the route descends to Hill's Wood, skirting the edge of Setmurthy Common where there are lots of good woodland trails. The route then crosses the Derwent and passes the Grade I listed Isel Hall before turning west towards Gill Wood and Redmain where there are wonderful vistas across the Isel Valley and Lake District Fells.
The final section takes you from Redmain to Woodhall Park, passing near Bridekirk as you go. Shortly after you cross the Derwent and return to the town.
To extend your walking in the town you can pick up a riverside trail heading south along the River Cocker. It will take you to Simonscales Mill and Southwaite Bridge.
At Isel Hall you have the option of continuing east along the Allerdale Ramble to Bassenthwaite Lake.
The town is on the edge of the Lake District so a good base for exploring the Northern lakes. Whinlatter Forest Park is close by and has miles of cycling and walking trails to try. The climb to Skiddaw is another good option.
Cockermouth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Cockermouth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Cockermouth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Cockermouth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Other Walks around Cockermouth
- Loweswater - Follow the lakeside path around this beautiful lake in the Lake District National Park
- Dodd Wood - This splendid wood next to Bassenthwaite Lake has several waymarked walking trails to try
- Skiddaw - This challenging walk guides you up Skiddaw in the Lake District
- Grasmoor - This challenging circular walk climbs Grasmoor from the Buttermere Valley in the Lake District
- Ennerdale Forest - Enjoy miles of traffic free cycling and walking trails in this super forest in the Lake District National Park
- Ennerdale Water - Follow the lovely lakeside path around Ennerdale water on this circular walk in the Lake District National Park
- Buttermere - This is a walk around the beautiful Buttermere lake in the Lake District National Park
- Whinlatter Forest Park - Enjoy some fantastic walking and cycling trails in this huge park in the Lake District