This circular walk from Eltham uses part of the Green Chain Walk to take you to Eltham Palace, Beckenham Place Park and Elmstead Woods. The route runs for about 10 miles and includes a few small climbs on the way.
The walk starts at Eltham Palace where you can pick up the Green Chain Walk in the park. The fine 1930s house is surrounded by 19 acres of award-winning gardens and a moat. The English Heritage run site also includes a medieval palace with a glorious hammer-beam roof built for Edward IV five hundred years ago. You can follow the waymarked path south from the palace and it will take you past Mottingham to Elmstead Woods.
After exploring the woods the path heads west to Sundridge and Plaistow before coming to Beckenham Place Park. In the park you'll find 96 hectares (237 acres) of parkland including river trails along the Ravensbourne River, ancient woodland, a sensory garden and a Grade II listed mansion.
From the park you head east, crossing the Ravensbourne River before passing through Downham. The final section runs past Catford and Grove Park where you cross the Quaggy River at Mottingham. Shortly after you pass Mottingham Farm and return to Eltham Palace where the route finishes.
PostcodeSE9 5QE - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Eltham Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Eltham Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Eltham OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Eltham Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Eltham
- Green Chain Walk - The Green Chain Walk visits a number of London's prettiest parks and open spaces while also passing through some interesting urban areas
- Beckenham Place Park - This circular walk explores Beckenham Place Park in the London Borough of Lewisham
- Elmstead Woods - Enjoy a short stroll through Elmstead and Marvel Woods on this easy walk in the in the London Borough of Bromley
- Three Commons - This short circular walk in Bromley takes you on a tour of Hayes Common, Keston Common and West Wickham common
- Petts Wood Circular - A short circular walk that takes you through Petts Wood and Limehouse Cut - Follow the Limehouse Cut canal on this waterside walk or cycle in East London
- Keston Common - This area of common land in Bromley covers 55 hectares and includes some nice footpaths
- Bromley - This London town is part of the London Borough of Bromley, the southeasternmost of the 32 London boroughs that make up Greater London
The lovely glasshouse café at Eltham Palace is a fine place to enjoy some refreshments on the walk.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
To continue your walking in the area you could try our Circular Walk around Bromley which visits some of the highlights of the London Borough.