Around Falmouth Walk - Quay, Castle and Coast
A coastal walk around the Cornish town of Falmouth visiting Pendennis Point, Pendennis Castle and the pretty Swanpool lake nature reserve.
Starting at the pier the walk follows the South West Coast Path past the quays and docks to Pendennis Castle. The artillery fort was constructed by Henry VIII between 1540 and 1542. It is run by English Heritage so you can explore the battlements, war rooms, barracks and cells with exhibitions detailing the history of the castle. It's in a fantastic position, commanding fine views across Falmouth Bay to the Roseland Peninsula.
After leaving the castle the footpath rounds Pendennis Point and heads west to Swanpool, passing two nice beaches on the way. The small saline lagoon is great for wildlife watching with Little grebe, Tufted Duck and Moorhen to look out for. It's a really lovely spot with the lake separated from the sea by the pretty Swanpool beach. The site also includes and outdoor cafe, crazy golf course, water-sports and kayak hire.
To extend your walking in the area you could explore the beautiful Roseland Peninsula. You can catch a ferry from Falmouth to St Mawes where you can try the St Mawes to St Just Walk. This visits the fascinating St Mawes Castle and the St Just in Roseland 13th-century church with beautiful riverside gardens.
Also near to Falmouth is the delightful Glendurgan Garden, the beautiful estuary of the Helford River and Kennall Vale Nature Reserve.
Falmouth Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Falmouth Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Falmouth OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Falmouth Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Falmouth
- St Mawes to St Just - This walk takes you along a lovely stretch of coast on the Roseland Peninsula in Cornwall
- Glendurgan Garden - These lovely National Trust owned gardens are located near Falmouth in Cornwall
- South West Coast Path - This incredible 600 mile walk follows the coast from Minehead in Somerset, through Devon and Cornwall and onto the finish point at Poole in Dorset
- Roseland Peninsula - Explore the beautiful Roseland Peninsula on this 10 mile walk on the Cornish coast
- Kennall Vale - This nature reserve near Falmouth has a series of walking trails to follow
- Trebah Garden - Follow over 4 miles of walking paths in these stunning Cornish gardens
- Helford River Walk - This circular walk follows a section of the South West Coast Path along the lovely Helford River in Cornwall