Framlingham Castle Walk
This walk visits the 12th century Framlingham Castle and follows the public footpaths surrounding the town. You can park at the castle car park to start your walk. The paths then take you around the pretty mere which is a Suffolk Wildlife Trust nature reserve and bird sanctuary. From here there are splendid views back over the water to the castle. The paths then take you around Framlingham College before heading back towards the castle. Here you can walk the full length of the parapet walls and climb some of the 13 towers for views across the mere. There's also the option of following footpaths through the countryside north east to Brabling Green.
You can virtually explore the grounds of the castle by using the google street view link below!
PostcodeIP13 9BP - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Please click here for more information
Framlingham Castle Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Framlingham Castle Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Framlingham Castle OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Framlingham Castle Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Framlingham Castle
- Saxmundham - This Suffolk based market town has some nice trails to try through the valley of the River Fromus
- Aldeburgh to Snape Maltings - This walk visits the lovely Snape Maltings Nature Reserve from the coastal town of Aldeburgh in Suffolk
- Tunstall Forest - This large forest in Suffolk has miles of good footpaths and a 10 mile red graded single-track mountain bike trail
- Orford Ness - Follow the walking trails around this beautiful nature reserve on the Suffolk Coast
- Rendlesham Forest - Rendlesham Forest is probably most famous for reported UFO sightings in 1980 but it is also a great place for cycling and walking
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just east of the town there's the neighbouring market town of Saxmundham to visit. Here you can follow the East Suffolk Line Walks south through the valley of the River Fromus to the nearby Snape Maltings nature reserve on the River Alde. The expansive Tunstall Forest can also be found in this area.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Suffolk Walks page.