Halifax Canal Circular Walk
This circular walk around Halifax explores the waterways and woods to the south of the town.
Start the walk from the train station and then head south along the Hebble Way which takes you along the Hebble Brook. This will lead you to the Halix Arm of the Calder and Hebble Navigation Canal where you can pick up the towpath and head east. It's a nice flat footpath with good views of the River Calder and the surrounding countryside of Calderdale. The path passes along the edge of Elland Park Wood which is a nice place to see bluebells in the springtime. Just before you reach Brighouse you can leave the canal, picking up the Calderdale Way. This long distance, waymarked trail will take you north west through Cromwell Wood and Upper Exley before returning you to the canal. You can then follow the same waterside paths north to return to Halifax town centre and train station.
To continue your walking around Halifax head north west of the town to visit Ogden Water where there's a nice footpath running around the reservoir. It is actually at the opposite end of the Hebble Brook which forms part of this walk. To the east of the town you will find Shibden Park. There's some lovely trails here taking you to a beautiful mere, a Wilderness Garden, cascades and pools, woodland and a fruit garden with a collection of heritage fruit trees.
Halifax Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Halifax Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Halifax OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Halifax Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Halifax
- Calder and Hebble Navigation Canal - This section of the Calder and Hebble Navigation Canal runs along National Cycle Network route 66 from Sowerby Bridge to Brighouse
- Elland Park Wood - These woods in Halifax have some nice walking trails and pretty bluebells in the springtime
- Shibden Park - This delightful country park in Halifax is the perfect place for a peaceful afternoon stroll
- Ogden Water - Enjoy fabulous views of the Pennine hills in this country park near Halifax
- Calderdale Way - The Calderdale Way is a walking circuit around the beautiful district of Calderdale in West Yorkshire