This long circular walk explores the countryside around the Kent town of Hythe. It uses a number of the long distance trails which pass through the area. You'll enjoy canalside paths, hill climbs, woodland trails and fabulous views of the North Downs and the coast.
The route starts at the train station and immediately picks up the Royal Military Canal Path and heads west towards West Hythe. Here you turn north and climb along the Saxon Shore Way to Pedlinge, passing Folks' Wood on the way. The route continues through Chesterfield Wood, skirting the edge of Brockhill Country Park. In the park you can enjoy waymarked woodland trails, a lake, open grassland and meadows.
The next stage takes you to Tolsford Hill where you can see the BT Tower. Around here the walk reaches its high point at over 600ft with splendid views over the surrounding area.
After passing the tower you descend past Etchinghill to Asholt Wood on the Elham Valley Way. You can either skirt the edge of the wood or follow the path along the dismantled railway line on this section. Just north of the woods you have the option of picking up the North Downs Way and following it south east to Peene Quarry Country Park and the Folkestone White Horse.
At Peene you pass the Channel Tunnel Terminal and Newington before heading through Scene Wood and the Sene Valley Golf Course. This leads you through Hythe and back to the canal where you pick up the waterside path through the town centre, before returning to the finish point back at the train station.
To extend your walking in the area you could head east along the canal and then pick up the coast path towards Folkestone. On the way you can pay a visit to the delightful Lower Leas Coastal Park where there are lovely gardens with a wide variety of interesting flora and fauna to see.
Hythe Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Hythe Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Hythe OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Hythe Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Hythe
- Royal Military Canal Path - This walking route runs from Pett Level to Seabrook along the Royal Military Canal
- Saxon Shore Way - Explore Kent's ancient coastline as you visit Iron Age hill forts, cathedrals, Martello towers, historic ports and castles on this incredible 160 mile walk
- North Downs Way - This beautiful trail starts in Farnham, Surrey and heads east through the stunning North Downs to the historic city of Canterbury in Kent
- Elham Valley Way - Explore the Kent Downs Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty on this delightful walk through Kent.
The route starts on the coast at Hythe and heads north to Canterbury via Elham and Barham
- Lower Leas Coastal Park - This coastal country park is located in Folkestone and has fabulous views over the Kent coastline
- Brockhill Country Park - Brockhill Park has a number of waymarked woodland trails, a lake, open grassland and meadows
- Peene Quarry Country Park - A short circular walk around Peene Quarry in the North Downs
- Folkestone - This coastal walk from Folkestone takes you to three of the area's country parks.
The walk starts on the front at Lower Leas Coastal Park