Walk around Leek
This town in the Staffordshire Peak District has lots of good options for walkers. There's a canal, reservoirs, parks, hill climbs and a number of good waymarked trails to try.
This circular walk visits some of the highlights of the area including the Caldon Canal, the River Churnet, Ladderedge Country Park and Tittesworth Reservoir. The route makes use of the waymarked Staffordshire Moorlands Walk for the duration and includes some woodland sections and moderate hill climbs.
The walk starts in Leek on the Caldon Canal in Barnfields, just to the south of the town centre. There is a public car park and an aqueduct here. You can pick up the waymarked trail and follow it west to Ladderedge Park. There's 70 acres of wetland, meadows and woodlands with lovely views over the Churnet Valley here.
After exploring the park the route bends round to the north, passing through woodland running along the River Churnet.
The route then bends round to the east passing Bridge End, Abbey Green and Abbey Wood before coming to Tittesworth Reservoir. The attractive reservoir includes a cafe, an interactive exhibition, and picnic areas where you could stop for refreshments.
Follow the trail right round the reservoir and it will lead you past Meerbrook and Blackshaw Moor before coming to Haregate on the outskirts of Leek.
The trail then heads along Mount Road to Lowe Hill before turning west through Ballington Wood and returning to the canal.
Near to the end of Tittesworth you will find one of the best walks in the Peak District at The Roaches. It runs along an elevated rocky ridge, with fascinating rock formations and wonderful views of the surrounding countrsyide and the reservoir below. Near here there's also the climb to Hen Cloud where there are more great views.
Leek Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Leek Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Leek OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Leek Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Leek
- Caldon Canal - Follow the Caldon Canal through the beautiful River Churnet Valley on this easy walk in Staffordshire.
The walk starts at the lovely Froghall Wharf where you will find a good sized car park
- Ladderedge Country Park - Explore 70 acres of wetland, meadows and woodlands on this short circular walk in Leek
- Tittesworth Reservoir - Enjoy a circular walk around this lovely reservoir on the edge of the Peak District
- Hen Cloud - Enjoy a short climb to Hen Cloud on this walk in the Staffordshire Peak District
- The Roaches - This walk is one of the most popular in the Peak District and a favourite for many
- Rudyard Lake - Enjoy a cycle or walk around this large lake in the Staffordshire Moorlands near Leek
- Staffordshire Way - Travel through Staffordshire, Cheshire, Derbyshire, Worcestershire and enjoy canals, lakes, country parks and a series of pretty towns and villages
The popular Blue Mugge in Leek is a nice place to go for some refreshments. It's a well priced traditional pub with good food and a decent selection of beers. There's also a small outdoor area partly undercover. You can find the pub on 17 Osborne St with a postcode of ST13 6LJ for your sat navs.
Also of interest is the noteworthy Roebuck. Steeped in character and charm this historic pub dates from 1626. It's dog friendly and has a lovely outdoor seating area for warmer days. You can find it at 18 Derby Street with postcode ST13 5AB.