This Welsh village is located in a wonderful spot on the Gower Peninsula. There's excellent trails to follow through the surrounding dune system with hill climbs and great sea views to enjoy as well.
This circular walk from the village visits the Llangennith Burrows and the interesting rock formations near Burry Holmes island on the coast.
The walk starts in the village and follows footpath west past the Llangennith Moors to the coast, passing the lovely sand dunes at Hillend Burrows and the National Trust's splendid viewpoint on Rhossili Down on the way. You then turn north passing through more splendid dunes in Llangennith Burrows to reach the Spaniard Rocks where there are views to Burry Holmes Island. You can walk out to this pretty island at low tide.
The route then heads north to Bluepool Corner and Broughton Burrows with lovely views down to Broughton Bay. Near Delvid Burrows you turn south east to head to Brynymoor and then return to the village.
Llangennith Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Llangennith Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Llangennith OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Llangennith Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Llangennith
- Llanmadoc - This walk from the village of Llanmadoc visits Cwm Ivy, Llanmadoc Hill and the neighbouring village of Cheriton
- Whiteford Sands - This beautiful nature reserve on the North Gower coast has lovely walking trails through woodland and sand dunes with nice coastal views.
- Millennium Coastal Park Llanelli - This fabulous country park in Carmarthenshire has miles of coastal cycling and walking paths to enjoy
- Rhossili Bay - A circular walk taking you along the beautiful Rhossili Bay before a climb to Rhossili Down for wonderful views along the Gower Coast.
The first section takes you along the Wales Coast Path from the Rhossili car park to Hillend
- Carmarthen - This short walk takes you around the county town of Carmarthenshire
- Llanrhidian - This North Gower based village has some nice trails along the marshland and Loughor estuary.
- Swiss Valley Reservoir - This walk visits the lovely Swiss Valley Reservoirs in Llanelli
- Swiss Valley Cycle Route - This cycle route runs from the coast at Llanelli through the Swiss Valley to the village of Tumble in Carmarthenshire.
- Penclawdd - This Welsh village is located on the north of the Gower Peninsula
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the north you can pick up the Llanmadoc Walk which visits the splendid saltmarsh area at Cwm Ivy before climbing to Llanmadoc Hill. Near here is the Llanrhidian Walk which takes you to the ruins of the 14th century Weobley Castle. The photogenic ruins are in a fine location overlooking the saltmarsh and Loughor estuary. Near here you can also visit Penclawdd which has a famous cockle industry.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Gower Walks page.