This short walk takes you around the county town of Carmarthenshire, visiting some of the local highlights. The walk starts at the train station and crosses the River Towy on the footbridge to reach the northern side of the river. Here you can pick up a riverside footpath heading west to Carmarthen Park. There's some nice footpaths here with features including Wales's first velodrome (cycle track), one of the few early velodromes to survive in working condition. There's also nice wide lawns, an old bandstand and a tea room for refreshments.
Near the footbridge you have the option of heading north east to visit Carmarthen Castle. Little remains of the original medieval castle at Carmarthen, but the old Gatehouse still dominates Nott Square. The motte is also accessible to the public. Castle House, within the old walls, is a museum and Tourist Information Centre.
There's lots of good options for continuing your walking in the area surrounding the town. To the south there's some fine trails in the coastal Pembrey Country Park and Pembrey Forest. Near here you will also find Kidwelly. Our circular walk in the town visits the pretty quay, the River Gwendraeth and the historic Kidwelly Castle.
Head south of the town and you can visit Llansteffan. Here you can enjoy a walk along a lovely stretch of coast and a visit to the historic Llansteffan Castle. Also nearby is the noteworthy town of Laugharne. Here you can visit two major highlights of Carmarthenshire at Laugharne Castle and the Dylan Thomas Boathouse. The castle dates from the 12th century and has a fascinating history. The boathouse is now a museum with lots of interesting exhibits to view.
Carmarthen Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Carmarthen Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Carmarthen OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Carmarthen Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Carmarthen
- Pembrey Country Park - With stunning views of the Gower Peninsula and Carmarthen Bay this coastal country park is one of the most popular in the UK
- Pembrey Forest - Enjoy a long circular walk around this large forest in Carmarthenshire
- Kidwelly - This circular walk takes you around the attractive Carmarthenshire town of Kidwelly
- Llansteffan - This circular walk takes you around the village of Llansteffan on the south coast of Carmarthenshire
- Laugharne - This lovely, coastal circular walk around Laugharne visits Laugharne Castle and the Dylan Thomas Boathouse
- Brechfa Forest - Enjoy miles of footpaths and mountain bike trails in this super forest in Carmarthenshire
- Abergorlech - This village in Carmarthenshire is the gateway to the expansive Brechfa Forest where you can enjoy miles of waymarked walking and mountain bike trails
- Carmarthen Fans - This walk climbs to Picws Du and Fan Brycheiniog in the Carmarthen Fans area of the Brecon Beacons Walks National Park
- Rhandirmwyn - This pretty little village is located in a peaceful spot in the Upper Towy valley in Carmarthenshire
- Ammanford - This former coal mining town is located in Carmarthenshire on the Heart of Wales Line.
- Llandeilo - This circular walk takes you through the countryside surrounding the Carmarthenshire town of Llandeilo
- Cynghordy Viaduct - This circular walk visit the impressive Cynghordy Viaduct in Carmarthenshire
- Cenarth Falls - Visit these beautiful falls and enjoy a woodland stroll along the Afon Teifi on this walk in Carmarthenshire
- Gelli Aur Country Park - This lovely country park surrounds the Golden Grove mansion in Carmarthenshire.
- Millennium Coastal Park Llanelli - This fabulous country park in Carmarthenshire has miles of coastal cycling and walking paths to enjoy
- Talley Abbey - This walk explores the ruins of the 12th century Talley Abbey in Carmarthenshire.