This walk visits the Maer Hills near the village of Maer in Staffordshire. There's some good country and woodland trails with fine views from the high points.
The walk starts in Maer where you can follow a track west past the pretty Maer Pool and the 17th century Maer Hall. Near here you can pick up the Newcastle Way waymarked trail at Maer Moss. Follow the trail north and it will take you into the Maer Hills where you can follow a series of woodland trails to Camp Wood and the 216 metre high Camp Hill at the northern end of the site.
Maer Hills Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Maer Hills Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Maer Hills OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Maer Hills Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Maer
- Newcastle Way - Starting at Mow Cop, follow the Newcastle Way through Staffordshire to Market Drayton
- Newcastle Under Lyme - The Staffordshire based town of Newcastle Under Lyme is well known for a number of attractive parks and gardens
- Keele - This Staffordshire based village is located near Newcastle Under Lyme
- Apedale Country Park - Explore 450 acres of community country park in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire
- Silverdale Country Park - This pretty country park is located in Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire
- Trent and Mersey Canal - Follow the Trent and Mersey Canal through Derbyshire, Staffordshire and Cheshire on this long distance waterside walk
- Stoke on Trent Canal Walk - This waterside walk takes you along the Trent and Mersey Canal and the Calder Canal to Hanley Park in Stoke on Trent
- Trentham Gardens - This circular walk in Staffordshire takes you around the beautiful Trentham Gardens and Trentham Lake
- Westport Lake - Enjoy an easy circular walk around this pretty lake in Stoke-on-Trent.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
You can extend the walk by heading north east to Newcastle Under Lyme.
The neighbouring village of Keele is just a few miles to the north east and well worth a visit. Here you can explore the lovely campus of Keele University which includes an arboretum, lakes and gardens. It's well laid out with several colour coded footpaths to try.
Just to the east of nearby Stoke there's some nice cycling and walking trails around Park Hall Country Park. The former quarry site is now notable as Stoke on Trent's only National Nature Reserve comprising woodland, heathland and ponds.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Staffordshire Walks page.