This market town is located in the Hambleton District of North Yorkshire.
It's located close to the heather moorland of the North York Moors National Park and the splendid Hambleton Hills where you can pick up the Cleveland Way National Trail. Other highlights include the nearby Mount Grace Priory where there are some fine trails around the historic Carthusian ruins. Near here you can pick up the Lyke Wake Walk and visit the lovely Cod Beck Reservoir at the attractive village of Osmotherley. In the town itself the 12th century Church of All Saints is a must see.
Northallerton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Northallerton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Northallerton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Northallerton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Northallerton
- Cod Beck Reservoir - Enjoy a short walk around this pretty reservoir on the western edge of the North York Moors
- Cleveland Way - This wonderful trail runs from Helmsley to Filey, taking you through the beautiful North York Moors national park, atop the Hambleton Hills ridge and along the stunning North Yorkshire coastline.
The trail begins in Helmsley, with the first section taking you through the heather moorland of the North York Moors, passing the village of Osmotherley, the pretty Cod Beck Reservoir and the ancient stones at Lord Stones Country Park and the Wainstones.
After enjoying the fabulous views on the elevated moors you arrive at Saltburn to begin the coastal stretch
- Lyke Wake Walk - The Lyke Wake Walk is a complete crossing of the North Yorkshire Moors from west to east
- Lord Stones - Visit this ancient stone and enjoy fabulous views from Cringle Moor on this exhilirating circular walk on the North York Moors
- Wainstones - Climb Hasty Bank Hill and visit the fascinating Wainstones on this circular walk in the North York Moors
- Hambleton Hills - This walk explores the Hambleton Hills range on the western edge of the North York Moors
- Silton Forest - Enjoy miles of mountain bike trails and footpaths in this large coniferous forest on the North York Moors
- Swainby - This little village is located in a nice position at the north-western corner of the North York Moors National Park
- Osmotherley - The North Yorkshire village of Osmotherley is situated on the western edge of the North York Moors National Park in the Hambleton Hills
- Mount Grace Priory - This walk visits one of Yorkshire's most interesting historical sites at Mount Grace Priory
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
For more walking ideas in the area see the North York Moors Walks page.