This fine circular walk explores the area around the lovely Surrey village of Tilford.
The attractive village includes a pretty green, cricket pitch and two medieaval stone bridges over the River Wey which runs through the settlement. Tilford is located just a few miles south of the large town of Farnham.
This walk from the village visits Stockbridge Pond, Tilford Common, Frensham Ponds Country Park, Hankley Common and the River Wey.
The walk starts from the public car park in the village. From here you can pick up footpaths heading south east to Stockbridge Pond which sits on the fringe of Hankley Common. The expansive common has miles of good footpaths including a section of the epic Greensand Way.
The route then heads west across the woodland on Tilford Common to one of the area highlights at Frensham Ponds. The scenic ponds are a popular place for a waterside walk with a large variety of water loving wildlife to look out for.
From the ponds you head north east with views of the River Wey before crossing the ancient stone bridge and returning to the village.
Tilford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Tilford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Tilford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Tilford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Tilford
- Frensham Ponds - This park is run by the National Trust and contains the lovely Frensham Ponds which attract a variety of rare birds such as the reed bunting, sedge warbler, great crested grebe, nightjars and woodlarks
- Hankley Common - Explore this large area of heathland and pine woodland on this walk near Elstead in Surrey
- The Sculpture Park Churt - This wonderful arboretum in Surrey is filled with 600 amazing sculptures
- Devil's Punch Bowl - This circular walk in the Surrey Hills AONB takes you through Hindhead Common, up Gibbet Hill and to the Devil's Punch Bowl - a large natural amphitheatre and beauty spot
- Thursley National Nature Reserve - This lovely nature reserve has miles of boardwalks and footpaths taking you to fine heathland, ponds, lakes and deciduous woodland
- Alice Holt Forest - Explore the peaceful Alice Holt Forest on this pleasant circular route in Farnham
- Greensand Way - The Greensand Way runs from Haslemere in Surrey to Hamstreet in Kent following the ridge of greensand rock that crosses the two counties
- Farnham - The Surrey town of Farnham has numerous choices for walkers
- Waverley Abbey - This walk visits the ruins of Waverley Abbey in Farnham, Surrey
- Waggoners Wells - This short circular walk visits the Waggoners Wells beauty spot in East Hampshire
- Witley Common - This large area of common land in Surrey consists of heathland, ponds and birch, oak and pine woodland
- Bourne Woods Farnham - Enjoy a walk around these attractive woods in Farnham.
The Duke of Cambridge is a lovely place for rest and refreshment after your walk. The traditional English pub has a charming modern interior with a cosy log fire for colder days. In warmer weather there's a terrific large patio and garden area. You can find them on the Tilford Road at postcode GU10 2DD for your sat navs.
There's also the Barley Mow which is in a great spot overlooking the village green. They serve high quality dishes and also have a fine riverside garden. The inn won Best Surrey Pub in Surrey Life magazine’s Food & Drink Awards 2018. There's some interesting history too with the pub dating back to 1705. Inside there's old photographs and artifacts where you can learn about the history of the area.
The woodland and country trails on the walk are ideal for dogs. The two pubs mentioned above are also dog friendly.