This circular walk around the Dorset town of Wimborne Minster uses part of the Stour Valley Way long distance trail to take you along the river and through the surrounding countryside.
The route takes place on fairly flat paths and lasts for just over 3.5 miles.
The walk starts in the town centre, just west of the minster. The minster has a history stretching back over 1300 years and includes Norman and Gothic architecture. The Saxon church is notable for its chained library, and the tombs of King Ethelred and John Beaufort.
Head west from the town centre and you can pick up a waterside footpath along the River Stour heading towards Pamphill. After passing the weir cross the Eye Bridge and head south across Netherwood Mead. You then turn east past Merley Hall Farm towards Oakley, before turning north and following the River Allen back into the town. This section passes close to the lovely Deans Court, a beautiful private house and garden just a stone's throw from the centre of the town. There's pretty gardens and a vintage lifestyle shop and health-food cafe.
To extend your walking in the Wimborne area head west and visit the splendid Kingston Lacy. Here you'll find miles of walking trails and a climb to the Iron Age Hillfort at Bradbury Rings. This will expose you to wonderful views over the Cranborne Chase AONB and the Wiltshire Downs.
Wimborne Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Wimborne Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Wimborne Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Other Walks around Wimborne
- Kingston Lacy - Explore the extensive parkland and gardens surrounding this lavish country mansion near Wimborne Minster in Dorset
- Badbury Rings - Climb this Iron Age hill fort and enjoy wonderful views across the Dorset countryside on this circular walk near Wimborne
- Stour Valley Way - This splendid walk takes you along the River Stour from Hengistbury Head on the Dorset south coast to Stourton in Wiltshire
- Holt Heath National Nature Reserve - Enjoy a walk through beautiful Dorset heathland in this delightful National Nature Reserve near Wimborne Minster
- Castleman Trailway - Travel from Ringwood to Poole along the disused Southampton to Dorchester railway line on this easy cycle and walking route