This Surrey town has a number of fine walking trails to try, particularly just to the east of the town centre. Here you can enjoy waterside walks along the River Wey Navigation, visit the lovely Pyrford Lock or enjoy 800 acres of heathland and woodland at Wisley and Ockham Common. Near here you will also find the renowned RHS Wisley Gardens and the delightful Painshill Park.
To the north of the town there's miles of trails on the expansive Horsell Common, while to the west there's a nice footpath around Goldsworth Park Lake.
The Basingstoke Canal also runs right through the town. This pleasant walk picks up the towpath in the town centre and heads west towards Farnborough and Frimley Green. It's an easy 8 mile walk finishing at Frimley Lodge Park which includes a miniature railway.
If you were to head in the other direction along the canal from the town centre, it would take you toward Weybridge where the canal joins with the River Wey Navigation. You could then follow this a short distance to the Thames Path. It's a lovely section of the river with the option of following the National Trail to Chertsey and Staines.
Woking Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Woking Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Woking OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Woking Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Woking
- Basingstoke Canal Walk - Follow the Basingstoke canal from Up Nately to Woodham, on this delightful waterside walk
- Wisley and Ockham Common - Explore over 800 acres of heathland and woodland on this walk in Surrey. This circular walk starts from the Ockham Common car park and takes you past the lovely Bolder Mere where you can look out for various dragonflies. You then head through Wisley Common on more woodland trails before passing Cockrow Hill and returning to the car park. There's lots of interesting wildlife to look out for including the rare hobby bird. In the spring you can see bluebells in the woods and in the autumn lots of pretty heather.
- Wisley Gardens - These splendid RHS Gardens in Surrey have a number of lovely, well laid out footpaths to follow
- Painshill Park - Enjoy miles of splendid walking trails in this stunning 18th century landscaped park in Cobham, Surrey
- Pyrford Lock - The circular walk takes you around the village of Pyrford near Woking
- River Wey Navigation - Follow the River Wey Navigation towpath from Godalming to the River Thames at Weybridge on this super waterside walk
- Goldsworth Park Lake - Enjoy a short stroll around the lake in this pretty park in Woking
- Horsell Common - This 880 acre common in Woking is a great place for a peaceful walk
- Thames Path - Starting at the Source of the Thames at Thames Head in Gloucestershire, follow the iconic river through beautiful countryside and historic towns to the city of London.
The path runs for 184 miles running alongside the river for nearly the whole route making for a glorious experience whatever time of year
- Newark Priory -
- Pirbright - This Surrey based village has some nice trails through the local commons and woodland
- Brookwood Cemetery - The Brookwood Cemetery is a Surrey based grade I listed site which includes a 220 Acre park.
- Frimley - This Surrey based town has some nice easy waterside trails along the local river and canal.