This village on the outskirts of Bristol has a nice rural feel and a fine local viewpoint to visit. The historic settlement also includes a 12th century church and a noteworthy 16th century pub.
This circular walk from the village climbs to the nearby Almondsbury Hill and then visits the green space and garden centre to the south.
The walk starts in the village centre and heads south to visit the viewpoint at Almondsbury Hill. From here there's splendid views over the Severn floodplain, South Wales, the Forest of Dean, the River Severn and the Severn Bridge.
After taking in the views you descend to the south to visit the Almondsbury Green Space and the adjacent garden centre. The centre is a nice place to stroll around and includes a good quality restaurant where you could enjoy some refreshments before heading back to the village.
Almondsbury Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Almondsbury Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Almondsbury OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Almondsbury Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Almondsbury
- Severn Bridge - Cross from England into Wales on this walk across the Severn Bridge
- Severn Way - Follow the River Severn from its source at Plynlimon in Powys, to Bristol, the mouth of the river
- Severn Beach - The village of Severn Beach is located in a lovely spot on the Severn Estuary
- Old Down Country Park - This country park in Bristol has a number of good walking trails through 66 acres of lanscaped gardens and woodland
- Blaise Castle - Explore the delightful Blaise Castle Estate in Bristol, on this circular walk through the 650 acre country park
- Thornbury - This Britain in Bloom award-winning town is located a few miles from the River Severn in South Gloucestershire
- Yate - This town in South Gloucestershire is well served by several waymarked footpaths
The 16th century Bowl Inn is a fine place for some post walk refreshment. The traditional pub includes thick stone walls, rustic beams and open fires. Outside there's a nice patio area for warmer days. They serve fine local food and have a good selection of ales too. You can find them on 16 Church Road with a postcode of BS32 4DT for your sat navs.
The route makes for a fine dog walk and the Bowl Inn mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head west of the village and you can pick up the riverside path along the Severn on the popular Severn Beach Walk.
Just to the north there's some nice trails around Old Down Country Park near Olveston.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Gloucestershire Walks page.