The Suffolk town of Beccles has some lovely riverside walks through the Broads National Park.
This walk takes you to nearby Lowestoft along the Angles Way long distance footpath. It's a lovely area with riverside paths along the River Waveney and a visit to Oulton Broad and Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve at the end of the walk.
The walk starts from the town which is located very close to the river. It runs for just under 9 miles along the waymarked path to Oulton Broad on the outskirts of Lowestoft. Along the way you'll pass pretty riverside cottages, boats, marshland and the Waveney Marina. Keep your eyes peeled for a variety of water loving birds as you go.
To extend your walking in the area head through Lowestoft to the coast where you can head along the beach to Kessingland. Here you can pick up the Suffolk Coast Path long distance footpath.
Just to the north east of Beccles you will find Somerleyton. The delightful model village includes thatched red-brick estate cottages and the splendid Somerleyton Hall with its beautiful gardens and expansive estate. The lovely large lake at Fritton Lake Country Park is also nearby and has some great waterside trails.
Beccles Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Beccles Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Beccles OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Beccles Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Beccles
- Lowestoft - This Suffolk based town has some lovely coastal walking and lovely trails to try around the nearby Oulton Broad and Carlton Marshes.
This easy 4 mile walk takes you along the beaches and dunes to the nearby village of Kessingland
- Angles Way - This splendid walk through the Norfolk Broads was voted the best waterside walk in Britain by waterscape.com in 2003
- East Suffolk Line Walks - Follow the 'East Suffolk Line' railway from Ipswich to Lowestoft on this splendid walk through the Suffolk countryside
- Suffolk Coast Path - A walk along the beautiful Suffolk coast from Felixstowe to Lowestoft
- Fritton Lake Country Park - This super country park is situated just a few miles from Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth
- Waveney Valley - The Waveney Valley is a wonderful place for waterside walking
- Loddon - This attractive market town in Norfolk has some delightful riverside trails to try
- Reedham - This Broads village is a lovely place to start a walk with miles of riverside trails and some pleasant footpaths to follow through the surrounding countryside.
The Waveney House Hotel is in a splendid spot right next to the river. You can enjoy refreshments on the lovely riverside terrace with fine views across the water to the surrounding countryside. The hotel also has an interesting history having been built in the early 16th Century during the reign of King Henry VIII. The first owner William Rede I, was the first Lord of the Manor of Beccles, after the Dissolution of the Monasteries. Inside you can see evidence of its past with the fine vaulted oak-beamed ceilings. You can find the hotel at Puddingmoor with a postcode of NR34 9PL for your sat navs.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The Waveney Valley Walk starts in Beccles and continues to the picture postcard village of Somerleyton and the expansive Fritton Decoy Lake. There's also many other walking ideas in the valley to be found on this page.
Head a few miles north and there's the worthy villages of Reedham and Loddon where you'll find an 18th century mill, a 15th century church and some lovely trails along the River Chet to Hardley Marshes.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Norfolk Broads Walks page.