This Suffolk based town has some lovely coastal walking and lovely trails to try around the nearby Oulton Broad and Carlton Marshes.
This easy 4 mile walk takes you along the beaches and dunes to the nearby village of Kessingland. The walk starts at the south pier in Lowestoft and heads towards Kirkley and Pakefield along South Beach. On the way you'll pass the Claremont Pier which was constructed in 1902/03. There's also the Pakefield Lighthouse which was dates from the 19th century. The final section runs along Pakefield Cliffs before coming into Kessingland where there is a lovely beach and plenty of good options for refreshments at the end of your walk.
To extend the walk you can continue along the coast path on the Kessingland to Southwold Walk. You'll pass through a section of the Benacre National Nature Reserve which consists of open water lagoons, marshland, reed beds, woodland and heathland. There's great wildlife spotting opportunities with marsh harrier, bearded reedling, water rail, and bittern to look out for on the way.
You can also pick up the Angles Way long distance trail at Oulton Broad to the west of the town. If you follow it north west you will soon come to Somerleyton. The delightful model village includes thatched red-brick estate cottages and the splendid Somerleyton Hall with its beautiful gardens and expansive estate. The trail also heads west along the River Waveney to the nearby town of Beccles.
Lowestoft Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Lowestoft Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Lowestoft OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Lowestoft Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Lowestoft
- Angles Way - This splendid walk through the Norfolk Broads was voted the best waterside walk in Britain by waterscape.com in 2003
- Oulton Broad and Carlton Marshes - This is a lovely waterside walk visiting Oulton Broad, the River Waveney and the pretty Carlton Marshes Nature Reserve near Lowestoft
- Suffolk Coast National Nature Reserve - This delightful coastal nature reserve is situated around the village of Walberswick in the Suffolk Coast and Heaths Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty
- Kessingland to Southwold Walk - This walk follows a popular section of the Suffolk Coast Path from Kessingland to Southwold
- Fritton Lake Country Park - This super country park is situated just a few miles from Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth
- East Suffolk Line Walks - Follow the 'East Suffolk Line' railway from Ipswich to Lowestoft on this splendid walk through the Suffolk countryside
- Beccles -