Cwmbran Canal Walk
Enjoy an easy walk along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal on this easy waterside walk in Cwmbran. The route runs from the town towards Pontypool where you have the option of catching the train back or continuing on a short way to the pretty Pontypool Park.
The walk starts on the canal in Old Cwmbran and heads north along the towpath to Sebastopol. The route continues past Griffithstown before coming to the Pontymoile canal basin, a pleasant spot on the canal.
Near here you can catch the train back to Cwmbran at the Pontypool and New Inn Station or return on the same paths. You could also carry on a little further west and visit Pontypool Park where there's some nice footpaths to follow around the mature trees and open meadowland in the park. The main park starts at Pontymoile Gates near New Inn and Pontymoile Basin and has footpaths leading into the Brecon Beacons National Park. Other highlights include the Italian Gardens and the Nant-y-Gollen Ponds.
To continue your walking in the area head east from Pontypool to Llandegfedd Reservoir. There's a lovely, long walking trail heading around the perimeter of the beautiful lake.
A few miles south west of the town you will find Cwmcarn Forest. There's miles of woodland trails to try here. Also near the woods is the lovely Ebbw Vale which you can explore on the waymarked Ebbw Valley Walk. The Sirhowy Valley Ridgeway Walk and Sirhowy Valley Country Park can also be explored in this area.
Cwmbran Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Cwmbran Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Cwmbran OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Cwmbran Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Cwmbran
- Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal - Follow the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal from Brecon to Newport on this super waterside walking and cycling route
- Llandegfedd Reservoir - Enjoy a long circular walk around this beautiful reservoir near Cwmbran and Newport
- Cwmcarn Forest - This large country park has miles of fantastic walking and cycling trails to explore
- Sirhowy Valley Country Park - Explore 1000 acres of woodland and meadows in this beautiful country park in Risca
- Sirhowy Valley Ridgeway Walk - This walk runs through the beautiful Sirhowy Valley in south Wales