Pontypool Walks - Near and Around
This Torfaen county based town has a fine local park and waterside trails along the local river and canal.
This walk from the town explores Pontypool Park before heading along the Lwyd to the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal. The extensive park is located in the town centre and includes some nice walking trails taking you to ponds, woodland, Italian gardens, a stone circle, streams and a ski slope. At the eastern end of the park you can stroll along the river to the canal at Pontymoel. You could extend the walk by following the canal south to visit the neighbouring town of Cwmbran where you could explore the Blaen Bran Reservoir and Community Woodland. If you follow it north it will take you to the popular Goytre Wharf where there's boat hire, an informative heritage centre and on site cafe.
PostcodeNP4 8AY - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Pontypool Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Pontypool Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Pontypool OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Pontypool Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Pontypool
- Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal - Follow the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal from Brecon to Newport on this super waterside walking and cycling route
- Blaenavon - This interesting town in Torfaen county is part of the Blaenavon Industrial Landscape, a UNESCO World Heritage Site
- Llandegfedd Reservoir - Enjoy a long circular walk around this beautiful reservoir near Cwmbran and Newport
- Cwmbran - Enjoy an easy walk along the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal on this easy waterside walk in Cwmbran
- Cwmcarn Forest - This large country park has miles of fantastic walking and cycling trails to explore
- Sirhowy Valley Country Park - Explore 1000 acres of woodland and meadows in this beautiful country park in Risca
- Sirhowy Valley Ridgeway Walk - This walk runs through the beautiful Sirhowy Valley in south Wales
- Blorenge - This challenging walk takes you around this prominent hill in the southeastern corner of the Brecon Beacons National Park
- Abergavenny Castle Meadows and Linda Vista Gardens - This lovely circular walk takes you around the pretty meadows surrounding Abergavenny Castle
- Abergavenny Sugarloaf Walk - This epic circular walk takes you to the summit of Sugarloaf Mountain from the town of Abergavenny
- Blaen Bran Reservoir - This circular walk visits the Blaen Bran Reservoirs near Cwmbran in Torfaen county.
- Goytre Wharf - This circular walk from the Goytre Wharf takes you along a section of the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal before exploring the countryside to the west of the wharf.
The expansive park is a popular place for dog walkers so you'll probably see other owners on your visit.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
The Pontypool and Blaenavon Railway is one of the town's popular attractions. The steam trains will take you to the World Heritage site at Blaenavon. Near here you can enjoy a more challenging climb to Blorenge and visit the delightful Keepers Pond.
A few miles to the east there's the expansive Llandegfedd Reservoir where there's a nice waterside circular trail to try.