East Marton Canal Walk
This circular walk from the Yorkshire village of East Marton takes you along the Leeds and Liverpool Canal to neighbouring Gargrave before returning to the village along a section of the Pennine Way.
The walk starts in the village and follows the towpath north to Newton Locks Bank and Bank Newton. You pass a weir and aqueduct around Priest Holme Bridge before coming to Scarland Lock on the outskirts of Gargrave. Here you can pick up the Pennine Way and follow the waymarked footpath south west past Scaleber Hill, Netcliffe Hill and Williamson Bridge before returning to East Marton.
East Marton Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
East Marton Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
East Marton OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
East Marton Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near East Marton
- Gargrave - This circular walk explores the countryside and canals surrounding this popular village in the Yorkshire Dales
- Leeds and Liverpool Canal - Enjoy waterside cycling and walking along Britain's longest single canal
- Pennine Way - This fabulous 268 mile path takes you through three of England's finest national parks
- Barnoldswick Canal Walk - Enjoy an easy waterside walk along the towpath of the Leeds and Liverpool Canal on this route in Lancashire and Yorkshire
- Skipton Canal - This is a popular walk from Skipton to Gargrave along the Leeds and Liverpool Canal
- Foulridge Reservoir - This easy, circular walk takes you around the pretty Foulridge Reservoir in Colne
- Weets Hill - This circular walk climbs to Weets Hill from Barnoldswick near the edge of the Forest of Bowland AONB
- Sharp Haw - This walk climbs to Sharp Haw hill in the Yorkshire Dales National Park near Gargrave.
- Colne - This Lancashire market town in the Borough of Pendle near Nelson
- Blacko Tower - This circular walk takes you around Blacko Tower from the village of Blacko in Lancashire.
- Elslack Reservoir - This circular walk visits Elslack Reservoir in North Yorkshire near Skipton.
- Earby - The Lancashire town of Earby is located near Colne and Barnoldswick on the Lancashire / Yorkshire border.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head south along the canal and you could visit nearby Barnoldswick.
Just to south east you'll find the villages of Thornton-in-Craven and Elslack where you can enjoy a peaceful walk around Elslack Reservoir. There's also a fine 17th century pub in Elslack village which is well worth a visit.
Just to the north is neighbouring Earby where you can visit the delightful Earby Waterfalls on the Wencliffe Brook.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Yorkshire Dales Walks page.