The Gloucestershire town of Fairford is ideally located for exploring the Cotswolds Hills on foot. This walk takes you through the Cotswold Water Park before visiting the nearby town of Lechlade where you can enjoy riverside footpaths along the Thames Path.
The walk starts in the town where you can pick up footpaths heading south east to the series of lakes. After passing along Warren's Cross Lake you will come to Lechlade which is a nice place to stop for refreshments. You can also enjoy a nice stroll along the River Thames to the point where it meets with the River Coln.
The route then returns through the water park to Fairford, with a nice section along the River Coln to finish.
This route takes you through the eastern section of the park but the huge park also has a western section to explore. It is located between Swindon and Cirencester with more details and a map shown on our Cotswold Water Park Walk and Cycle Route. In Lechlade you can also pick up the Cotswold Canals long distance trail and enjoy more easy, waterside walking.
Buscot Park is also located nearby and has some lovely footpaths to follow around the grounds.
Fairford Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Fairford Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Fairford OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Fairford Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Fairford
- Cotswold Water Park - This fabulous attraction has numerous waterside cycling and walking paths taking you around the park's 150 lakes
- Lechlade River Circular Walk - This lovely circular walk takes you along the River Thames and through the countryside surrounding this pretty town in Gloucestershire
- Thames Path - Starting at the Source of the Thames at Thames Head in Gloucestershire, follow the iconic river through beautiful countryside and historic towns to the city of London.
The path runs for 184 miles running alongside the river for nearly the whole route making for a glorious experience whatever time of year
- Buscot Park - Explore the delightful grounds and gardens surrounding this fine 18th-century house near Faringdon in Oxfordshire
- Cotswold Canals - Follow a series of delightful waterways from Framilode to Lechlade on this waterside walk through Gloucestershire.
The walk starts at Framilode, next to the River Severn and follows the Stroudwater Canal and the River Frome to the market town of Stroud
- Bampton - This pretty village is surrounded by some lovely Oxfordshire countryside and is only a short walk from the River Thames