Farnborough Walks - Near and Around
This Hampshire based town sits on the county border with Surrey. Although the area is quite built up it is close to a number of expansive woodland areas which lie just to the east. Hawley Lake and Common is another good local option with miles of trails just to the north west of the town centre. The Basingstoke Canal Walk can also be picked up just to the south.
The town is well known for its annual airshow and an interesting aviation history including the first powered flight in Britain in 1908.
This circular walk from the town visits Frimley Hatches Nature Reserve and the Blackwater Valley Footpath located just to the east of the settlement. You'll also visit the historic Farnborough Abbey which dates back to 1881. Public tours of the Abbey take place every Saturday at 3pm, with the visit comprising a tour of the church and a visit to the crypt.
At the Frimley nature reserve you'll find a number of lakes where you can look out for a variety of water loving birds.
For more detail on the town, including the history, politics, local landmarks and notable residents see the informative wikipedia page.
PostcodeGU14 8AL - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Please click here for more information
Farnborough Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Farnborough Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Farnborough OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Farnborough Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Farnborough
- Frimley - This Surrey based town has some nice easy waterside trails along the local river and canal.
- Blackwater Valley Footpath - This is a nice easy waterside walk along the Blackwater River from Aldershot to Swallowfield.
The walk starts at the delightful Rowhill Nature Reserve in Aldershot and heads along the river to Farnborough, passing Gold Valley Lakes and Willow Park on the way
- Basingstoke Canal Walk - Follow the Basingstoke canal from Up Nately to Woodham, on this delightful waterside walk
- Pirbright - This Surrey based village has some nice trails through the local commons and woodland
- Woking - This Surrey town has a number of fine walking trails to try, particularly just to the east of the town centre
- Whitmoor Common - Explore the heathland, woodland, grassland and ponds on this large area of common land in Guildford
- Wey South Path - Follow the Wey River and the Wey and Arun Canal on this wonderful waterside walk through Surrey and Sussex
- Guildford Canal Walk - A nice waterside walk from Guildford to Godalming along the River Wey Navigation Canal
- Guildford - The town of Guildford has a huge selection of walks to choose from with several long distance trails, hill climbs, parks, rivers and canals to explore.
This long circular walk makes use of some of the waymarked footpaths running through the area, showcasing the best of the surrounding North Downs countryside
- Brookwood Cemetery - The Brookwood Cemetery is a Surrey based grade I listed site which includes a 220 Acre park.
- Hawley Lake - Enjoy a circular walk around Hawley Lake on this easy walk in Hart, Hampshire.
You can start the walk from the Sail Training Centre on the northern side of the water
- Fleet Pond - Enjoy an easy circular walk around the Fleet Pond Nature Reserve in the Hampshire town of Fleet
- Yateley Common Country Park - Enjoy nearly 500 acres of heathlands, woodlands and ponds on this circular cycle or walk in Yateley, Hampshire
The Prince of Wales is a good choice for some post walk rest and refreshment. The Victorian pub serves good home-cooked food and has a nice garden area. You can find them near the train stations at 184 Rectory Rd, GU14 8AL. They are also dog friendly if you have your canine friend with you.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Head east and you could explore the UK's largest cemetery at Brookwood Cemetery in the pretty village of Pirbright.
Just to the south is Aldershot where there's the Gold Valley Lakeside Nature Reserve to explore. There's some easy lakeside trails, lots of wildlife and a lovely cafe to rest in here.