This pretty village is a great base for exploring some of the highlights of the popular Dove Dale area of the Peak District. The village includes attractive houses and a pretty green and duck pond. There's also an interesting history with the
13th century parish church of Saint Giles and the 17th century Hartington Hall.
Hartington is popular with tourists so there are good facilities with a car park, pubs, a youth hostel and a visitor centre at Hartington signal box, on the site of the former Hartington railway station.
From the village you can directly explore the lovely Beresford Dale and Wolfscote Dale Nature Reserves, just to the south of the centre. This then leads you into Dovedale which is one of the highlights of the Peak District.
Just to the east of the village you can pick up the Tissington Trail. This cycling and walking trail follows a disused railway line through some stunning scenery. Right next to that is the High Peak Trail which also follows an old railway line from Cromford to Dowlow. These two rail trails are a great way to explore the Peak District on foot or by bike.
The fascinating Neolithic henge monument of Arbor Low is also within easy reach of the village. The limestone circle sits in an elevated position with super views over the White Peak area of the Peak District.
The Midshires Way and Pennine Bridleway long distance trails can also be picked up just to the east of the village.
The circular walk below takes you from the village through Wolfscore Dale before returning through the adjacent Biggin Dale.
The walk gives great views of the River Dove and includes some nice woodland sections and lots of interesting flora and fauna. The walk is reasonably flat with some more challenging climbs towards the end of the route in Biggin Dale.
PostcodeSK17 0AL - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Hartington Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Hartington Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Hartington OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Hartington Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Hartington
- High Peak Trail - This splendid, shared walking and cycle trail follows a disused railway line from Cromford to Dowlow through the beautiful Peak District.
The trail starts near Cromford railway station and climbs through the stunning High Peak area of Derbyshire giving fabulous views of the area.
The trail links with the popular Tissington Trail at High Peak Junction
- Arbor Low - Visit this Neolithic henge monument and enjoy some lovely moorland scenery on this fascinating circular walk in the Peak District
- Tissington Trail - The Tissington trail is a 13 mile off road path following the trackbed of a disused railway line through the stunning Peak District National Park.
The trail is shared by walkers and cyclists offering fabulous views of the Derbyshire countryside
- Pennine Bridleway - This fabulous 120 mile long trail runs through the beautiful Derbyshire Peak District, through Lancashire and on into Yorkshire.
It is suitable for mountain bikers, horse riders and walkers taking you on a tour through some of the most beautiful parts of the country
- Wolfscote Dale - This walk visits Wolfscote Dale in the Dove Dale area of the Peak District
- Sabrina Way - This route is part of the National Bridleroute Network and primarily designed for horse riders but can be used by walkers and cyclists also
- Midshires Way - This route follows public bridleways and quiet country lanes through Middle England, from Bledlow, near Aylesbury in Buckinghamshire, to Stockport in Greater Manchester
- Beresford Dale - This walk takes you into the pretty Beresford Dale National Nature Reserve in the Derbyshire Peak District
- Biggin Dale - This walk explores the beautiful Biggin Dale National Nature Reserve in the Peak District
- Longnor - The village of Longnor is based in a lovely part of the Staffordshire Peak District
- High Wheeldon - This walk climbs High Wheeldon Hill in the Upper Dove Valley area of the Peak District
- Hulme End - This challenging circular walk from the village of Hulme End visits several Peak District highlights.
Head to the Devonshire Arms pub in Hartington village after your exercise. The quaint old 17th century pub has a lovely large beer garden to relax in during the warmer months. You can find it at Market Place, postcode SK17 0AL.
You could also stop off in the pretty little village of Biggin. Here you'll find the excellent Waterloo Inn which has a good outdoor area with country and village views. It's also dog friendly if you have your four legged friend with you.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the north you can try the circular walk from Hurdlow which climbs to the viewpoint at High Wheeldon. The little hamlet has a good sized public car park and a charming country pub to relax in afterwards. The High Peak Trail can also be picked up here. The shared cycling and walking trail runs along an old railway line from Cromford to Dowlow.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Peak District Walks and the White Peak Walks pages.