The area surrounding the market town of Mansfield has some excellent choices for walkers. There's fine woodland trails in the nearby Sherwood Forest, several country parks, riverside trails and a pretty reservoir on the outskirts of the town.
This short walk visits Titchfield Park, Kings Mill Reservoir and the River Maun which runs through the town. You'll pass old mills and pretty nature reserves with lots of wildlife to look out for on the way.
The route starts just to the south of the train station in Titchfield Park. It's a lovely place for a stroll with riverside paths and a nice cafe.
Follow the paths west past St Mark's Church where you pick up the Quarry Lane Walkway and the Timberland Trail. The trail runs along the train line before coming to Kings Mill Reservoir. The site includes an excellent visitor centre and a nice walking trail to follow around the perimeter of the water. There's also lots of wildfowl to look out for on the water.
To continue your walking in the Mansfield area you can pick up the Robin Hood Way long distance footpath in Harlow Wood, just to the south of the town. The trail will take you to many of the highlights of the area including the splendid Sherwood Pines Forest Park and the fascinating Augustinian priory at Newstead Abbey.
Near Sherwood Pines you can also visit Vicar Water Country Park where there are nice trails around the two lakes.
Just to the north west of the town you will find the Teversal Trail. This shared cycling and walking trail uses disused colliery lines to form a circular route around the villages of Teversal and Skegby. It visits Pleasley Pit Country Park and Silverhill Wood Country Park, where you can climb to the highest point of Nottinghamshire.
Burntstump Country Park, Blidworth Woods and Rufford Country Park are also near the town and have miles of woodland trails to try.
Mansfield PostcodeNG18 4AJ - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Mansfield Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Mansfield Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Mansfield OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Mansfield Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Mansfield
- Sherwood Pines Forest Park - Enjoy several waymarked cycling and walking trails in this large woodland area in Mansfield
- Vicar Water Country Park - Explore 200 acres of rare heathland, mature woodland and species rich grassland in this country park near Mansfield
- Kings Mill Reservoir - This lake in Mansfield has a nice walking trail to follow around the perimeter of the water
- Newstead Abbey - Explore the extensive parkland surrounding this former Augustinian priory and home to Lord Byron.
This circular walk starts at the village of Linby and takes you to Papplewick Hall where you join the Robin Hood Way
- Robin Hood Way - Follow in the footsteps of this legendary figure on this super walk through Sherwood Forest and the Nottinghamshire countryside
- Burntstump Country Park - Explore open grassland, woodland and glade in this country park in Nottingham
- Blidworth Woods - Explore the pine woodlands and open heath of Blidworth Woods, on this peaceful walk in Sherwood Forest
- Rufford Country Park - Visit Rufford Country Park near Mansfield and explore 150 acres of historic parkland
- Teversal Trail - Enjoy cycling and walking along these former railway lines, located on the Nottinghamshire/Derbyshire border
- Silverhill Wood - Climb to the highest point of Nottinghamshire on this pleasant walk around Silverhill Wood Country Park