This Nottinghamshire based village sits in a pleasant spot, on the edge of Sherwood Forest near Mansfield. The village includes an attractive High Street and a noteworthy medieval church with connections to the legend of Robin Hood.
This long circular walk from the village uses a section of the Robin Hood Way to visit Sherwood Forest Country Park, Clumber Country Park and the neighbouring town of Ollerton.
The walk starts in the village centre where you can pick up the Robin Hood Way and follow the waymarked footpath north into Sherwood Forest Country Park. This area of woodland includes a visitor centre, lots of wildlife and woodland trails suitable for cycling and walking. You'll also pass the Major Oak, an ancient tree thought to be over 1000 years old.
Follow the trail north and it will take you over the River Meden to the Gleadthorpe Breck Plantation. Here you head east to the Budby Corner Plantation before turning north to enter the splendid Clumber Park. You can follow the trails east to take you along the lovely lake to Hardwick Village. Here you cross the River Poulter, heading south towards Ollerton. This section passes Thoresby Park to the west.
From Ollerton you can follow the pavement along the A road west to return to Edinstowe.
PostcodeNG21 9QP - Please note: Postcode may be approximate for some rural locations
Edwinstowe Ordnance Survey Map - view and print off detailed OS map
Edwinstowe Open Street Map - view and print off detailed map
Edwinstowe OS Map - Mobile GPS OS Map with Location tracking
Edwinstowe Open Street Map - Mobile GPS Map with Location tracking
Walks near Edwinstowe
- Sherwood Forest Country Park - Explore 450 acres of peaceful woodland in this famous park and Nature Reserve in Nottinghamshire
- Clumber Country Park - Enjoy a peaceful walk or cycle around the fabulous Clumber Park in Worksop
- Thoresby Park - This walk visits the lovely Thoresby Park in Nottinghamshire
- Rufford Country Park - Visit Rufford Country Park near Mansfield and explore 150 acres of historic parkland
- Southwell Trail - This traffic free cycling and walking trail links Southwell to Bilsthorpe in the Sherwood Forest area of Nottinghamshire
- Vicar Water Country Park - Explore 200 acres of rare heathland, mature woodland and species rich grassland in this country park near Mansfield
- Worksop - This walk follows a section of the Chesterfield Canal from Worksop to Kiveton Park
- Creswell Crags - This walk takes you around this fascinating limestone gorge on the Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire border
- Robin Hood Way - Follow in the footsteps of this legendary figure on this super walk through Sherwood Forest and the Nottinghamshire countryside
- Mansfield - The area surrounding the market town of Mansfield has some excellent choices for walkers
- Sherwood Pines Forest Park - Enjoy several waymarked cycling and walking trails in this large woodland area in Mansfield
Back in the village head to the Royal Oak for some well earned refreshments. They have an ample car park, an attractive interior with log fires and a fine menu. You can find them on the High Street at postcode NG21 9QP for your sat navs.
The woodland and parkland trails on the route are ideal for dog walking. The Royal Oak mentioned above is also dog friendly.
Further Information and Other Local Ideas
Just to the south of the village you'll find Rufford Country Park. There's a pretty lake and some pleasant woodland trails here. Sherwood Pines Forest Park is also located near here and well worth a visit.
For more walking ideas in the area see the Nottinghamshire Walks page.